• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Anyone recognize this brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no name on it anywhere, but I read that was common at one time. It was my great grandfather's and it still has a beautiful sound.

The straps have an Eastern European look about them: possibly East German or Czechoslovak in origin?🤫

It's a late 1940's early 1950's era student model 12 bass accordion made by Gabbanelli of Italy mainly for the export to the US
during the so called "Golden Age Of The Accordion". During this period there was a demand for these 12 bass models and even
Excelsior & Sonola made a few.

And just a note - most of these did not have the origin of the maker as back then it was still legal to omit the country'
origin on products here in the US.
And the straps on this one are not original !!

Last edited:
It's a late 1940's early 1950's era student model 12 bass accordion made by Gabbanelli of Italy mainly for the export to the US
during the so called "Golden Age Of The Accordion". During this period there was a demand for these 12 bass models and even
Excelsior & Sonola made a few.

And just a note - most of these did not have the origin of the maker as back then it was still legal to omit the country'
origin on products here in the US.
And the straps on this one are not original !!
Had to repair one strap because it broke. So, while it's true that part of the strap is not original, the rest of the straps could be original. Unfortunately, my great grandfather is not around to ask. I'll take a better picture of the straps and buckles and you may be able to tell me if they are original, other than the repaired part. I was more concerned with being able to continue to play it. Thank you for all of the information, so far! I also have a Camerona 12 bass that was my father's. On the back, it has "M685/950 Made in Italy." That's the one I play most often. But am looking to buy a Bell 120 bass L. Am anxious to play it and hear the difference (weight and sound!).

GetSet,
If the strap is still broken, you may be able to make it useable by bridging the break with a piece of leather, riveted past the break at each end.
If unsure, you may be able to have either a cobbler or saddler in your neighbourhood fix it.
I had a similar problem, which I fixed myself as a temporary fix: it's still going after 20+ years!😄

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back