• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Anyone playing in a jazz ensemble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenn

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Where the hell do you start if you want to sound like this trio?

Just kidding, but interesting nevertheless.
Are any of you playing jazz in a group?

Well.....I am going to a Beginners Jazz group, but so far have just taken my geetar (which I can't play properly either) .

Have hinted I may know where the black keys and the white keys are on the piano.......but only two weeks in have not plucked up the nerve to mention the Piano Accordion...........I mean ,come on , some of you nice people have heard my rubbish :lol: :b :ch :hb

I'd love to play in a small jazz group. There is an open jazz jam near me every month - I always want to take the accordion and have a go but would need to make sure I can play well. I used to play saxophone but not for many years so I'm sort of familiar with the form though well out of any practice. Maybe I should concentrate on the Art van Damme style of using it as a horn (i.e. a melody instrument, in the jazz sense) with only the right hand and forget the left hand mostly for improvising.

PS- only ever use the bassoon reeds!!

Hi Simon,

I noticed the melodic approach of van Damme.
Galliano does the same but not only using the bassoon register.
It is actually a nice sound and allows you to concentrate on improvisation with the right hand.
Of course, the Stradella button layout isn't exactly totally suited to jazzy chords.
It is possible but it's a bit fiddly compared to a free bass.
I used to play piano jazz in a group years ago but I was never very good at it.
I needed plenty of preparation and hated the guitarists that could "noodle" away with some skill whatever tune was thrown at them.

I have played saxophone in a number of workshops groups bands but not on a regular basis.I am comfortable improvising saxophone on many simple 'standards'.

I am more than comfortable on my own improvising on the accordion, although the left hand sometimes gets left behind due to the complexity of some of the chords and voicings used in jazz ( just take a look at some of the lead sheets ). I particularly like using backing tracks which allows noodling along. I am not yet confident enough to try out for real at a workshop, but would like the opportunity to do so.

GOM said:
. I particularly like using backing tracks which allows noodling along..
Whats your source of backing tracks may I ask?
Are you talking of jazz standards?

I was wondering that too. I used to use a program on the Amiga called SuperJAM but haven't anything as good available that works on current technology.

The voicing of Stradella chords is fixed. But I think it's more versatile than maybe you appreciate. By using chord combinations to make basic various kinds of 7th/9th chords, you can imply upper extensions and altered notes on the right hand. The bass would get a bit muddy anyhow otherwise.

Maybe we shoud have a "jazz standard of the month". Anyone care to suggest something? I've got a couple of fakebooks, but you can also find lead sheets on the internet pretty easily.

Great sound. I love that kind of jazz. Both my kids are musicians - one on piano and one on trombone so I'm two thirds of the way there. Just need a dry tuned accordion. My current is musette tuned. If you had £3000 to play with- what jazz accordion would you buy?

Guernseyman said:
If you had £3000 to play with- what jazz accordion would you buy?

Nice Question Guernseyman. My Burini is piccolo tuned (LMMH). I chose it as I wanted to be able to play more classical/jazz stuff as well as ballades, musette and folk.
I had the idea that a piccolo tuning would give me the best of both worlds. Not sure if I was right but you have to make a choice.

What would I do with £3000? I would go for a good second hand PA, 4 voice, any of the good Italian makes.
For that price you may even get cassotto which can make the bassoon sound really mellow.

What's the difference between double octave, piccolo and dry tuning? I've only ever hada musette or 5 voice. I agree with what to do with three grand. I would buy a second hand double cassotto double octave Italian.

£3k is a great budget for a 2nd hand accordion - certainly if buying a 120 bass which are less sought - the problem will be that you have so many to choose from.

Thanks for that clip Glenn. When I came out of university in the early 70's I had taken a three month percussion course as part of my band leader training for starting up bands in the school system here. I fell in love with the snare drum and brushes, and played in a small jazz group in really seedy dives. I used to practice playing to Dave Brubeck and Stan Kentons stuff. I still look wistfully at the brushes in my drawer.

Nice music you posted. I see he's got the grill off. Cool...

Nathen

nathen said:
Nice music you posted. I see hes got the grill off. Cool...
Nathen
Hi Nathen,

Indeed Galliano almost always plays with the grill off.
Makes the instrument look a bit ugly but he seems to like it.
Never tried it myself for fear of damaging something.

Hi Jonska,

My Accordion teacher has this book and she says I can borrow it if Id like to have a go.
It is a nice book with good arrangements but they are not easy.
You also have to start to learn the jazz chord voicings for the Stradella.
These are in general a bit awkward for the fingers but sound pretty good.
I have my accordion with a 3+3 Stradella thus I dispense with the dim chords and add at the top a minor 3rd bass note. This I find more convenient.
This arrangement also means that the 7th chord is slightly differently voiced by he manufacturer to the standard Stradella.

If you are interested in jazz chord combinations go to: Hans Palms page

Here is one to be getting on with: Autumn leaves

Thank you! Those links are pure gold! Intresting article about combining bass voices! It could take some time to learn to play those.. :)

There is some excellent notes for accordion and some of them were from my favourite jazz artists. It is too bad Im just a beginner and it seems that I need to practise some basics things before I can grab that book and start playing jazz. :) Have any of you played jazz with accordion?[/quote]
Found? Quite lucky. It looks interesting - but its not currently available on that link.

The same writer had an other book too: Beatles Accordion Song book. I bought it. There were 14 Beatles songs to accordion. They seemed to be easier than the songs on that jazz -book.

There is some excellent notes for accordion and some of them were from my favourite jazz artists. It is too bad Im just a beginner and it seems that I need to practise some basics things before I can grab that book and start playing jazz. :) Have any of you played jazz with accordion?[/quote]

I have a lead sheet and a score for Lullaby Of Birdland......scored for piano but with chord boxes and symbols if you are interested ...............

That jazz book was one of the first ones I got. It's ok but there are also two books of Frank Marocco jazz arrangements available that I think are much better and about the same range of difficulty. I put a link somewhere in a previous thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back