• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Anyone might be interested?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

giack91

Hi guys,

I'm Lorenzo from Italy, I recently start to play my granfather's accordion but I'm in the "music world" from many years , and I live near Castelfidardo.

I write here because in the last months I came across many old and vintage Italian accordions, created in my area, like Paolo and Settimio Soprani, Scandalli, Guerrini, etc...
Those accordions are really beautiful and I think that many owners don't understand it, and sell them for a few euros, because It's easy to think that an old granfather's instrument is only rubbish.

If someone is interested to buy, or to buy and re-sell, or just collect some of these hypothetical accordions, just tell me and we will talk about it. This instruments deserve a new life!

Sorry if I have broken some forum rules, I'm new from here!

The main reason people are letting these old accordions go for "a few euros" is that in order to bring them back to life the investment in repairs would outweigh their economic value after restoration.
If you are not into it to make money it is well worth to invest in an accordion repair course. Accordion Craft Academy offers them. And since you are close to Castelfidardo you can start repairing accordions without the need to first stockpile loads of parts as you are close to Carini where you can buy parts as needed.
You may find it a lot easier to sell fully restored instruments (especially if you have proof with lots of pictures of the restoration being done) than to sell rubbish "old grandfather's" type instruments. I agree these old instruments "deserve" to find a good home and to be played again, but it takes a dedicated person to put a lot of work into them without seeing a monetary reward.

Hi Debra, I absolutely agree with you!
I was thinking to start repairing accordions from some artisans close to me, I really would like it!

But I also think that some old accordions, could remain in old conditions, and start to be great house ornaments with their history and their dignity. :)

Depends what you think a few euros is. If you talk about 300 or so for a scandalli 3 voice with that eggbox grill to me its a fair price. Old classic looking instruments arent worth alot because their playability is outdated technology and condition wise. Its market and demand and there are so many mediocre instruments for sale. But if you can get your hands on pro quality instruments for a few hunderds that could be another story. If you dedicate yourself to repairing them and selling them on thats good for the wallet and gives these amazing instruments a new home :)

Another true comment, thank you Wout! I'll let you know!

giack91 post_id=65105 time=1545126223 user_id=3380 said:
I was thinking to start repairing accordions from some artisans close to me, I really would like it!

Even if you do nothing to them but give them a thorough evaluation of the features, quality and state of repair, that would make a big difference for someone who might be looking for something like that but is located far away.

donn post_id=65113 time=1545152823 user_id=60 said:
giack91 post_id=65105 time=1545126223 user_id=3380 said:

Even if you do nothing to them but give them a thorough evaluation of the features, quality and state of repair, that would make a big difference for someone who might be looking for something like that but is located far away.

Hi Donn, this is exactily what I had in my mind.....
Im trying to learn everything about accordions, also for this reason. Then if someone will be interested, even better!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back