• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Another question on tuning to ETS

Status
Not open for further replies.

chj

Reaction score
My scandalli has a bass register to play only the octave5; those reeds vaxed directly on the bass unit, not on separate reed block. Thus, I can measure that reed alone. Picture shows results. Three reeds are loose marked red, but the question I have is:

The D and E notes are significantly higher in pitch. Is this most likely just reeds out of tune, or could it be some special tuning, e.g. to make chords in the C key sound better, or similar?

I try to minimize pllanned tuning work after waxing (clearly mandatory on at least those 3 reeds).

Am I probably best of tuning everything to ETS442 (the default of this device)?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-30 at 14.35.22.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-30 at 14.35.22.png
    116.2 KB · Views: 7
Just turn off all those reeds. The bass side high sounding isn't great. That's what i always do on my client's 5 reed bass instruments and they always love the result of a 4 reed strong and bassier sound. Also, these reeds will start faster than the next octaves and that makes the bass weird sounding (except on top quality accordions, where all reeds works instantly)

Just turn off all those reeds. The bass side high sounding isn't great. That's what i always do on my client's 5 reed bass instruments and they always love the result of a 4 reed strong and bassier sound. Also, these reeds will start faster than the next octaves and that makes the bass weird sounding (except on top quality accordions, where all reeds works instantly)
Interesting tip, but this Scandalli has registers to turn them off, which result I prefer. But that is with a lot of reeds out of tune. Just about to start rewaxing and then tuning, and I will let you know if I still agree after that. Exiting. But, both my 59 and 63 model Scandalli has this fix mounted treble set, so it seems to be something with potential (I presume), else why would they be there in their models year after year?

CAN I ASK THIS: How would you have tuned this treble reed block, where you to have them there after all. Strict ETS 442 as the rest of the accordion?

Last edited:
i think, from a manufacturing perspective, if you have the room to lay the
5th reedblock for the bass down flat and just glue it in, you would
save money... this practice was common enough across brands and extended
from before WW2 as far as my observations go

chj, just checking -- did you deep clean and re-valve these reeds before checking pitch? I find that measurements prior to those steps aren't accurate.

i think, from a manufacturing perspective, if you have the room to lay the
5th reedblock for the bass down flat and just glue it in, you would
save money... this practice was common enough across brands and extended
from before WW2 as far as my observations go
yes, the fifth reed; the treble in the bass, is orthogonal to the other blocks because it is glued in place. I am wondering how to fibnal tune the pull reeds, but I guess I will find a way. At this moment, I am curious as to the coming measurements. I noticed that the tone dropped some mean value of 2-3 cents when I compared measuring in the accordion enclosure and afterwards, in free air. Thus I tuned all these treble reeds in free air to 442 + 3 cents.

chj, just checking -- did you deep clean and re-valve these reeds before checking pitch? I find that measurements prior to those steps aren't accurate.
Yes, with the exception of a few valves that had to be replaced due to my ignorance waxing technique. But I have seen that effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back