• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

An hour and a quarter of magic.

Ffingers

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do excuse me if this has been posted previously, but I found it most educational and enjoyable.
Definitely made with a North American perspective, it does include references to styles which immigration brought with it.

I bought this DVD when it came out, this was my review:
DVD – Accordions Rising (2016): “Accordions Rising Is a documentary feature film about the resurgence of interest in accordion music over the last 30-40 years. Although many continue to see the accordion as the stodgy instrument of a bygone era – and accordion jokes abound – this film sets the record straight. It is the story of the variety, diversity and extraordinary virtuosity of the instrument and the music that it can make…”

I have purchased this DVD and quite honestly, it is a bit of a disappointment. If you have seen the 2009 Behind The Bellows, then you will have seen more than half of Accordions Rising. It has a lot of the same info, same message, same story and even many of the same names appearing in both DVDs. It is a very “American-centric” story that unfortunately, is one that has already been told better elsewhere. Basically, it’s a bit of a remake of “Behind the Bellows”, but sadly without any major improvements over the first movie except the few minutes of displaying and talking about the Roland “V” accordions.

Yes, it’s nice to have, ok to watch, but it could have been SO MUCH better! Add a little international flavor, add some current real day international accordion HEROS, people that have done more for the accordion than ANYONE has in the past. Finally, know what? There is more to the accordion world today than just what happens in ONE country. The accordion’s roots are in Europe, how about even a SMALL look over there? Show some of those factories, show some of those people that make them and show a few Canadian and European people that make the accordion what it can be! Someone had a chance to make a mind-blowing DVD about accordions, and sadly, it fell quite a bit short. The day someone uses the recipe that I mentioned, that is the day I just might give some DVD a 5 star rating!

The day someone uses the recipe that I mentioned, that is the day I just might give some DVD a 5 star rating!
There was apparently something good done by BBC Scotland but only sadly broadcast in Scotland meaning an audience of a few dozen.... I believe it was called 'the world accordion to Phil'. Don't know if anyone can locate any of the episodes in YouTube etc. so more people could enjoy it?

I took a few and looked at all 4 episodes.

This is currently the best accordion related documentary on the market because it focuses somewhat indirectly on the accordion (although it is all about accordions!), and more on the countries and history of the box and how they relate, a cool aspect of the story. They kind of surprised me when I saw Prague in there, which was kind of cute.

I like very much that he did not mention any specific brands except his own Brandoni but then carried around an unmentioned but very clearly seen (and more often played in the series), Saltarelle more often.

I enjoyed the fact that he mentioned various styles of music and the fact that he searched for links to Celtic music. This is a trait that I think that if I did a similar documentary would also fall in to the trap of finding the music I was strongest playing and searched for, just an interesting way he wanted to flavor his video series. The fact that the Russian accordionist (I slightly hesitate to call a Pigini a "bayan"), brought him to tears a "wow" moment for me.

Way to go. :)

This is currently the best accordion related documentary on the market because it focuses somewhat indirectly on the accordion (although it is all about accordions!), and more on the countries and history of the box and how they relate, a cool aspect of the story. They kind of surprised me when I saw Prague in there, which was kind of cute.

I like very much that he did not mention any specific brands except his own Brandoni but then carried around an unmentioned but very clearly seen (and more often played in the series), Saltarelle more often.

Glad you were able to track it down - yes I agree, its the best by a long way and having the BBC behind it certainly lends to a decent budget and production values!

There was apparently something good done by BBC Scotland but only sadly broadcast in Scotland meaning an audience of a few dozen.... I believe it was called 'the world accordion to Phil'. Don't know if anyone can locate any of the episodes in YouTube etc. so more people could enjoy it?
It was broadcast in England also because I watched it and recorded a few episodes (some time ago). As a matter of interest, if you have freesat or Sky, even the free one, you can watch both BBC Scotland and also BBC Alba, (in the UK).
Some good programs on.

Back