• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Accordion chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianr

Reaction score
Having learnt to play the accordion in my youth, and then letting it lapse for many years due to various other commitments, I have enjoyed playing again in my retirement, currently playing a Sonola Sorbonne. However, at 75 years of age we have moved into an apartment and I feel guilty subjecting the neighbours to my efforts!
The idea of an electronic instrument that I [font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif]could play silently[/font] now appeals to me but my knowledge of them is limited. I understand that a Roland can be played this way but are there other affordable options? Are key sizes comparable to a normal acoustic instrument? I am 75 now and dont want to invest a large amount of money - have members any advice on this subject? Any response would be appreciated.

I guess you are playing piano accordion (vs button accordion).

If so, I recommend a Roland FR-3x. The FR-1x, in my opinion, with only 2 octaves, can be frustrating. The newer FR-4x is nice but it costs more.

If you want to go inexpensive way, look for an FR-2 or FR-3 or FR-3s. They are models of first generation and some (FR-2, FR-3) are without speakers (you need headphones). But they are good enough for practice in silence.

Please dont expect electronic accordions to behave like their acoustic brothers. Treat them as two different animals and you wont be surprised.

I had a chance to deal with Roxys and found them very good to do business with.

https://roxys.com/product-category/accordions/roland-v-accordions/

I also see this (I dont know the seller):

https://reverb.com/p/roland-fr-3x-wh-v-accordion

Hi Brian,

Your proposition has merit, and it clearly demonstrates that you are a considerate person.

I am very similar in age to yourself, but do not feel inclined to embrace electronic technology. My solution to the problem you describe is to throw a PA in the car, and drive out into the countryside. There I can play to my heart's content, with my only audience being horses, cattle and sheep.

My better half and I are fortunate enough to live within a five or ten minute drive of some stunningly beautiful locations. These bucolic slices of the English countryside give me inspiration, and I truly believe that I play much better music when wrapped up in nature.

I do not know, of course, how easy it would be for you to emulate my Arcadian lifestyle, but I feel bound to offer it as an alternative solution to a vexing problem.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

I`m guessing you're in the UK. I second the FR3X recommendation.
Oddly the Reverb link goes to a picture of a button accordion but there is also a PA on offer there.
Royez looks like a biggish company and open to offers. The FR3X is discontinued and not many on the used market.
With prices around 1500 it`s a lot of music for the money Caution: Shipping about 86 pounds Lots of stuff on Youtube. It has many functions but if all you want is a wide range of accordion sounds and to play silently through phones, that`s possible too.
Some people have found the difference in bellows a problem to start with. (vs an acoustic)
There is a big difference between the X models and the earlier ones.

pentaprism pid=71873 dateline=1588801541 said:
I guess you are playing piano accordion (vs button accordion).

If so, I recommend a Roland FR-3x. The FR-1x, in my opinion, with only 2 octaves, can be frustrating. The newer FR-4x is nice but it costs more.

If you want to go inexpensive way, look for an FR-2 or FR-3 or FR-3s. They are models of first generation and some (FR-2,  FR-3) are without speakers (you need headphones). But they are good enough for practice in silence.

Please dont expect electronic accordions to behave like their acoustic brothers. Treat them as two different animals and you wont be surprised.

I had a chance to deal with Roxys and found them very good to do business with.

https://roxys.com/product-category/accordions/roland-v-accordions/

I also see this (I dont know the seller):

https://reverb.com/p/roland-fr-3x-wh-v-accordion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back