• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

48 bass mechanism – is it possible to modify it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin

Reaction score
Hello,

I’m completely new to the forum, and I’m only just starting to learn the CBA.

I recently bought a nice little 48 bass accordion. I was hoping the bass layout would give me:
major third | tonic | major chord | minor chord (i.e. E | C | CM | Cm )

But unfortunately, it is set up as :
Tonic | major chord | minor chord | seventh chord

Which, I find a bit limited for playing bass runs...

So my question is, can it be modified? And how ?

Many thanks in advance for your help !

Robin

Attachments

• _DSC3912.jpg
    _DSC3912.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 9
Hello,

I recently bought a nice little 48 bass accordion. I was hoping the bass layout would give me:

Robin
Somebody on here will have the technical know-how to answer your question Robin.

As it's 12x4 I personally would want tonic, major chord, minor chord, 7th. But I'm not you.

Perhaps the whole unit could be replaced (from a scrap accordion perhaps) with what you want, but that might be expensive, even if you can find the configuration you want.

A custom job certainly would be very expensive (I know from experience).

In reality It might be cheaper to trade it for exactly what you want.

Good luck which ever way you go.

Hello,

Robin
What make of CBA is it just out of interest? Any other pictures?

Thanks for your replies!

Mm, that's a pitty...

It’s a Hohner Cornelia I (B-Griff). It’s a lovely little instrument, very compact (29 x 27 x 18 cm), yet with a full 3 voice (LMM) treble side. That’s why I would be quite keen to get the bass side sorted out… Seems like a nice instrument to travel with. And I know I would definately use bass notes more than seventh chords.

All my 48 (4x12) are: counterbass / bass / major / minor
And yes, I would like to have at least one with your bass layout: bass / major / minor / seventh
But as Longshore says, I'm not you ...

If the bass layout becomes unbearable to you, just let me know and I might take it off your hands. If it is sold in Europe, it risks getting turned into a melodeon by some industrious Brit. ?

Those old small Hohner CBAs seem kinda rare, could you share a picture of it?

All my 48 (4x12) are: counterbass / bass / major / minor
And yes, I would like to have at least one with your bass layout: bass / major / minor / seventh
Well, in that case, would you be interested in swaping your Cornelia with mine? Seems we both live in Belgium...

If the bass layout becomes unbearable to you, just let me know and I might take it off your hands. If it is sold in Europe, it risks getting turned into a melodeon by some industrious Brit. ?
;-) will do.

You would have to change pistons, pallet placement, & reed blocks. Not worth the effort, labor, & cost.
Hi Jim, thanks for the advice. I think the Cornelia is a very special instrument. I don't know any other maker that managed to pack 3 voice in such a small and light instrument. If I was willing to put the effort, labor & cost into the renovation of the instrument, how and where could I learn more about the stradella bass mechanism?

Well, in that case, would you be interested in swaping your Cornelia with mine? Seems we both live in Belgium...
Mostly in Spain now, have been moving very little since this corona situation. But I still have a place to dwell in Belgium if needed.
About swapping, maybe, maybe not, ... look at my treble side and you'll see it's a Janko system, so lots of work to re-do mine to C or B system and to re-do yours to Janko, but ... maybe we should only swap the bass side ... if yours is a HOHNER CORNELIA I maybe it should be easy, maybe not, have to check it out. What's the serial number of your Cornelia? Mine is 307833.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back