• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Sonata 72 bass/34 keys, the bellow take of the frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bag

Reaction score
Hi,
my friend bellow as take of the frame(No holes in the bellow, just the glue as failed and the frame look in good condition too). Look like a cheap manifacture to my begginner eyes.

I've read about what kind of glue i should use. I've seen that you can use rabbit hide glue. I want to be sure that i use the good glue because i want it to last! Am I in the right direction ?

Here's the best info and picture i can find on the internet, saddly i don't have the accordion here so i cannot take better picture for now.

An other question, it's the first time i see some reedblocks not made of wood, but of plastic. i'm curious if anyone can give me is opinion on that!

Thank you very much ! :)

Bag

i have the accordion with me. so the frame is in plastic and the bellow cartboard.

can anybody tell me if im wrong with the rabbit skin glue ?

thank you

Bag

Hi Bag,

Most people like the "accordionrevival.com" website for advice on accordion repairs. It recommends Elmer's white wood glue on this page:

Here is the glue:

I don't know if rabbit skin glue is just as good. It's probably ok, but I think it might get brittle over time. Others on here may chime in too. Goid luck!

Reactions: Bag
thank you tom ! the bellow is almost ready to received the glue! i will buy some glue today and i will try this probably tonight.

i will let you know how it went !

Thank you :)

Reactions: Tom
Elmers works fine on wood frames but results on plastic frames may be underwhelming. This is why I refrained from answering yesterday as I don’t know of a better alternative.

Reactions: Tom
and do you have any opinion on which one is the safest for the cartboard ?
Perhaps you could experiment on a very small section? Or on another piece of plastic to cardboard? I think if the glue sticks them together you should be ok. Personally, I would try the Elmer's first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back