• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

21 tunes in 21 weeks......Week #17(all contributors)

Status
Not open for further replies.
George,
Thanks for sharing the clip by Steve Meisner!?
I must admit it never occurred to me to count the treble keys on your accordion: wow! ??

Thanks. Actually, my accordion has an extended keyboard...45 keys. I seldom, if ever use them all. The song was written Steve Meisner...a Slovenian/Cleveland style accordion player. Here's Steve playing it...he makes it look easy. It's a tough song for me to play.
I prefer your version George. The sound from Steve's accordion is squeaky, like a mouse, to my ears. Perhaps it lacks the bassoon reed in the treble? And your accordion has a nicer sound too.

I prefer your version George. The sound from Steve's accordion is squeaky, like a mouse, to my ears. Perhaps it lacks the bassoon reed in the treble? And your accordion has a nicer sound too.
Thanks again. Yeah, I guess accordion sounds are a matter of taste. I think Polka players like a box with some "punch" to it . Also tuned flat with very little if any musette. I have 5 sets of treble reeds in the Colombo/Bugari, 15 registers and a mute switch and a palm master. I have plenty of options...its a bit heavy at 32 lbs.

https://www.baldoni.com/american_polka.htm

Wow..week NINE...Holiday weekend for us in the USA. I was thinking of a Patriotic song, but decided to break out the vintage Casio M-10 Keyboard. If it's good enough for Frankie Yankovic then it's good enough for me. A smooth Yankovic tune..Jo Ann Waltz

Wow..week NINE...Holiday weekend for us in the USA. I was thinking of a Patriotic song, but decided to break out the vintage Casio M-10 Keyboard. If it's good enough for Frankie Yankovic then it's good enough for me. A smooth Yankovic tune..Jo Ann Waltz
Nice waltz. I didn't know Frankie had a Casio. I know he had a Hammond Solovox. I think the Solovox is what he used for his recording of Blue Skirt waltz.

John M.

Nice waltz. I didn't know Frankie had a Casio. I know he had a Hammond Solovox. I think the Solovox is what he used for his recording of Blue Skirt waltz.

John M.
Thanks. Yeah, Frank started with the Solovox and at some point in time used other instruments to get the organ sound. Here he is in Australia usihttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvRQuYOhBjkng the Casio M-10.

I put my Week 8 tune on a separate thread to play a small joke on those who associate free bass with serious classical music, rather than synthesizer hits of the 80s. :) That's what I associated it with, but it's handy for any bass part than spans more than an octave.

Last edited:
A rather stately Cock o' the North from me. This was a first use of block chords in the left hand for me, so it took a little longer. If the English summer lets up, I'll be playing in the garden with the band today, the hall we use isn't open yet.
By block chords do you mean bass button + chord button at the same time?

Nicely done, and I like the Casio with the accordion bass. If you play piano accordion a small keyboard is good way to mix things up.

By block chords do you mean bass button + chord button at the same time?
I do, although I could easily be using the term incorrectly :unsure: I think it's really a style of accompaniment as I picked it up from a piano player, although he was talking to a bunch of accordion players.

Wow, time flies. I've been out of town a lot and missed a few weeks. I still need to learn more tunes, so I'm going to stick it out, but not sure I will hit 21. If I can add 6 or 7 solid tunes, I'll be happy.

Reactions: Tom
Wow, time flies. I've been out of town a lot and missed a few weeks. I still need to learn more tunes, so I'm going to stick it out, but not sure I will hit 21. If I can add 6 or 7 solid tunes, I'll be happy.
Yeah, busy with holiday guests, etc. I'm slowing down. Went through the songs, need to take a break and brush up on some of the newer ones to keep them active. Will be easier in winter. Still going for 21 but will probably take longer... Or go with more songs I've played but not good enough. Hang in there everyone!

I'm a little ahead of the game with week 10. Time for a jazz tune. I didn't actually keep count, but I must have played this 30 plus times before I put it on youtube. For what it's worth played with the bassoon reed and the mute switch on. Also tried not to go overboard with improvisations.

I do, although I could easily be using the term incorrectly :unsure: I think it's really a style of accompaniment as I picked it up from a piano player, although he was talking to a bunch of accordion players.
Having closely voiced chords moving with the melody is my interpretation, but never mind. Congrats for learning this trick, Chord button plus bass button is a good way to add emphasis and it sounded good on the tune you played!

Week 10... I didn't have much time to practice this week. I'm gonna stick to this challenge, but can only do so by including some short pieces played badly. Another in my series of "ear training through video game music," this is the dramatic main theme from Chrono Trigger. I've only learned a few LH chord combos (this one I think is a min7add 9) and I always enjoy a chance to use them!

Edit: After another practice session it's not any more polished, but I did learn another Chrono Trigger tune to make a set. I am now set up to record line out from my Roland for better sound quality.

Last edited:
Here's my week 10. I'm going to aim for the 21 tunes, but maybe half will end up in the repertoire and I 'll need another 21 weeks t get them solid. The rest are there to build some technique.

This is a Barrel Organ Parody from Play Accordion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back