• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Wireless mic systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pete Mo

Has anybody got any experience of using a wireless mic system with their accordion? I recently grabbed a bargain Microvox velcro-on mic set from eBay and was pleasantly surprised by the quality so I am now interested in coupling this with a wireless transmitter/receiver.. Would love to hear any recommendations as well as any disasters I should avoid!

Yes I have one. Its not spefically designed for accordions. Its called a yoga microphone. Unidirectional Dynamic Microphone (one direction). It can be put on on the accordion strap to pick up sound from the bellows or it can be clipped onto the music stand which is what I do. It has a female 3 pin din socket. I use it plugged into a wireless connection called an APG Pro and has an APG Pro receiver connected to a 160 watt speaker. It will pick up your voice as well as the accordion and anyone else singing or playing next to you. Being unidirectional means its picks up sound from one direction only eliminating surrounding noises. It may be that the APG Pro 1/4 inch jack can be plugged into an electronic accordion without the microphone for the APG Pro receiver on the speaker. But if the electronic accordion has a din connection an adapter would have to be used.

Thanks Bill, who makes the APG transmitter and receiver? A quick search online has been fruitless.. How do you find the mic handles ambient sounds and spill? One plus of the Microvox mic is that since the mic caps are attached directly to the grill there's negligible spill or feedback... interested to hear if anyone has an opinion on whether this compromises the mic'd sound as the sound from the reeds has very little 'air' to blend in before hitting the mics...

If you are buying a Radio mike setup...ensure that what you buy is for the new frequencies (606-614mhz /Channel 38) as the old frequencies(854-862Mhz /Channel 69) should now no longer be used.These frequencies(854-862) are now allocated to mobile phone companies and are illegal to use since 31st DEc 2012...altho much secondhand equipment using these frequencies is still being sold.

Here is a link tothe Ofcom website...
http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2009/12/new-licensing-arrangements-for-wireless-microphone-users/

and also to the Stage Electrics page with more info...
http://www.stage-electrics.co.uk/radio_information.aspx

The APG I bought on eBay about 2 or 3 years ago cheaply because no else bidded. I have been told they are quite expensive. I don't know who makes them. I don't know what the frequency is but it has never given any trouble like interference. There are others that work the same way, though good ones are expensive. Those accordion strip microphones that stick on the treble grill come up on eBay now and then. I never bought one because I think another one would also be needed for the bass side which would be very expensive.

Surely Jim D has some good advice on what are best external mics?

Sorry Gent's but from previous experience I've found all external mic units to be expensive and lacking in performance. JIM D.

Wow! Thanks Dave, that's valuable information - pretty much rules out anything secondhand then..
So do you advocate using internal mics Jim? Have you used any of these with a wireless transmitter/receiver system? The mic setup I'm using has a small belt clip unit which mixes the treble and bass mics and has a 1/4" jack output - I'm guessing I could use the type of wireless systems used for electric guitars... any thoughts?

To get the best response from accordion pickups (crystal or condenser) they must be mounted inside the instrument - grill mounted and or inside the bellows mounted. The wireless guitar system you mention works very well with accordion pickups. There are still some older frequency models left on the market for around $100 US and work well with a 100 ft range. The newer frequency models sell for around $200 to $250. The older and new wireless systems such as the Audio Technica brand can be found at MCM electronics -Parts Express - and Amazon. JIM D.

<FONT font=Garamond><SIZE size=125>I have internal condenser mikes that are battery powered (9V battery). For the wireless effect I use a Samson setup that is made for electric guitar/bass players. I only used it 2 or 3 times, but it did the job.

Good luck!

So, what is the suggestion Jim for a modern internal mic wireless system. You are a wonder of information - I always enjoy hearing from your experience.

For small accordions and concertina's a single internal pickup with a dynamic, crystal, or condenser mic with volume and tone control will work just fine. For larger accordions with larger keyboards (17" to 19") and basses up to 120 a dual or stereo pickup works best. The stereo pickup style has mikes for the treble and bass with separate volume and tone controls. I install pickups in my shop and for those of you that are handy you might try and visit the website FRMenterprises and in the section - components - look under condenser mic's and you can find some quality do it yourself kits. Frank ships to the UK and his prices are wholesale. 90% of my repair parts come from FRM and are of the finest quality. JIM D.

I should add, If you visit the FRM site and wish a stereo pickup, the name of the set is FRM 5-1S and is what I use for a condenser type installation. The price is $265.00 US and most shops will install it for between $450.00 to $600.00. For Piezo, Dynamic, or Crystal mic's I install my own designed sets that will fit the accordion model and needs of the musician. JIM D.

Thanks for the info guys, Jim, the internal pick ups sounds like a great investment in the future... gonna check out those Samson transmitters Zevy :)

Correct me if I'm wrong here Jim but aren't the mics you recommended all wired and not wireless?

Yes the mic's I mention here are pickups already installed in the accordion. You then use a wireless transmitter clipped on your belt or accordion strap which sends the pickup voices to a sound system or amp. There are wireless mic and transmitter combo units like the Hohner Vamonos units which are over priced - have feedback issues - and only amplify one side of the accordion. If you are considering spending a few bucks on amplification of your accordion an internal installation will give you the best response from your metal free reeds. A installation of this type will always give you a return on your investment when selling it or trading up. You can then chose from many wireless units that can be used for your accordion - a handheld mic - or a string instrument with pickups.

I think I read sometime ago on the forum that internal mikes pick up noises of mechanical parts, valves, etc. or does this only apply to certain accordions.

This whole area of internal amplification is new to me, Jim. So does that mean, that there are no holes in the accordion for a standard socket to plug into and no trailing wires? That sounds like a great system to me but, liek Bill, I am concerned about internal sounds. Thinking of having internal mics on my new Cooperativa. It produces such a great sound and I will be using it for performance with amp and speakers but never like the idea of a trailing wire from the base of the accordion.

I've been using accordions with internal mic's installed for 50 years now and have been installing crystal and condenser mono and stereo pickup kits for 40 years. When installed properly they do not recognize the sounds the mechanical parts make but respond very well to the vibrations of metal free reeds. A jack must be installed on the treble grill for a signal output and if you wish volume and tone controls they will also have to be mounted. You should contact Cooperativa and have them E-mail you a photo of what their models look like with the optional pickups installed. Most all of the Italian firms have kits that are designed for their pro models and if you did not order your box with factory installed pickups they can recommend dealers that offer installation. I install kits that vary depending on the customers desires whether mono - stereo - # of mic's - # of controls for volume and tone - and midi kits. JIM D.

I agree with the idea of using a guitar wireless with a separate mounted accordion mic. I did trade show AV for 10 years and was always wary of having a dedicated built in wireless mic. Occasionally we would get interference and would have to use a regular mic system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back