• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Which one to buy?

Pipemajor

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm contemplating buying another accordion and in a quandary which one.
I've narrowed my search down to 2 which are (both CBAs)
1 Hohner Morino Artiste 1V LMMM
2 Vignoni Special LMMM.
Both from a well respected dealer who is also a repairer.
The Morino is heavier by 2 kgs but has more notes on the right hand, (52 against 46) and will be, I believe, much older.
The Vignoni from what I have read is a well regarded brand but someone suggested the keyboard (piano) was a disappointment. This may not be the same for the CBA.
Both the same price.
My leanings are towards the Vignoni as I think it is a more attractive accordion and weight at my age is a consideration.
I haven't spoken with the dealer yet and obviously I will go to the shop to try them out but it is about 400 miles away so I would like to get the opinions of anyone who has tried these models out before I go.
Thanks, Ian

You need to get your model numbers right. Morino Artiste IV D has one reed set with a cassotto-like sound. Newer models like Artiste IV N instead have one button row with a different sound which is not just useless but also annoying. The IV D is probably from the 50s or 60s which has consequences in how noisy the keyboard is. So it really depends on which Artiste IV you are talking about.

Both instruments you are asking about will sound/feel very different so you should just go play them and then make your choice: no advice here will be as significant as the difference in the actual instruments feels to you.

Last edited:
In addition to what Dak is saying, The only Morino Artiste models that are worth buying from the later N and S series are the ones with an X in their model name (IX, X, XI) as they have cassotto. The D series is older and has the L reed banks under the keyboard resulting in a more mellow sound than the M reed banks. The Artiste afaik does not let you select MM versus MMM separately.
The Vignoni is likely more or less a PA with a CBA keyboard, and then has only 46 notes because that's how much room there is on the equivalent 41 key PA acccordion. It is likely that the Vignoni lets you select MM and MMM separately. (It is also unlikely to have cassotto when it only costs the same as the older Artiste.

Thanks dak and debra for your informative replies.
I didn't buy either but did get an ELKA/SEM CBA which had been bought new on a whim by a long time piano accordionist.
He tried it for a couple of weeks, found he couldn't get on with it , so resigned it to a closet where it remained for about 15 years, only getting it out occasionaly to blow some air through it.
He then passed away and his widow got in touch with his accordion playing friend to arrange to sell it.
I got it at a very good price and am delighted with it.
It only needed a few leathers gluing back on and it's pristine inside.
There are still a couple of bass reeds that the leathers need attention but I'll get round to that in due course. I'm just happily playing away in its present condition.

Back