• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Where will the new accordion technicians come from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan Sharkis

Reaction score
There is a real scarcity of accordion technicians in the US. The few older, traditionally trained ones have either already died or retired, or will soon do so. I have a choice of three or four within an hour or a few hours drive of where I live. So, if my accordion ever needs a repair, I'd consider myself lucky. There are vast areas of the US without competent repair people, and accordionists living in those areas must ship their instruments to the few remaining ones. So, let's say that the accordion becomes popular in the US again, as many predict it will. There will be a need for more accordion technicians in more areas of the country. Where will they come from?

Hi Alan: Your quite correct. Because of this situation, my repair business here in New England has sometimes become overwhelming.
I do know of and can recommend four (other than myself) in the New England area, and will gladly recommend one if you send me a PM.
The -- http://www.accordionrevival.com/ -- web page also has recommendations by location. :tup:

JIM D. said:
Hi Alan: Your quite correct. Because of this situation, my repair business here in New England has sometimes become overwhelming.
I do know of and can recommend four (other than myself) in the New England area, and will gladly recommend one if you send me a PM.
The -- http://www.accordionrevival.com/ -- web page also has recommendations by location. :tup:

Hello Jim,

Thanks for the offer. As I wrote, I have several techs within an hour or two of where I live, including the one from whom I bought my current box, who recently moved even closer to me. I guess you can figure out who that is :D

Just as an example, I follow a Usenet group devoted to free-reed instruments and a tech posts regularly there. A few days ago, there was a post from somebody who wanted to locate an accordion tech in the Myrtle Beach area to evaluate an accordion. The advice was to post a picture somewhere else and post a message with a link to that picture as a starting point, but the accordion would still have to be shipped.

So, just as an aside, would you be interested in training some candidate (not me,) not that I even know anyone interested in learining?

Twice over the years I knew an accordion repair man that was taught from the old country. Started by sweeping the floors as a child and worked there way up. No matter how much I begged them or pleaded. I even offered to pay hourly to be taught how to tune and repair. I even said I'll pay to watch and not say or ask a thing. Still the answer was no. Both of them took their craft to the grave. Not teaching anyone to continue their craft.

There is a place in the USA where future accordion technicians and repairers can follow courses and workshops.
It is in the World of Accordions Museum in Wisconsin. They have a very large collection of accordions.
http://www.worldofaccordions.org/seminars.html

CONSTRUCTION BASICS and BASIC REPAIRS
The accordions and concertinas preserved in A World of Accordions Museum show the entire history of the development of the instrument family, the construction types, innovations, tunings, performance capabilities, and content variations. Understanding of the characteristics all accordions have in common, the basic principles on which they work, the component parts of how they work comprise your first insights into repair and maintenance as we investigate chosen instruments.

Students will observe the necessary tools of the trade (bring your favorite hand-tools if you choose to disassemble your own instrument). Topics that will be covered include the following: basic cleaning and maintenance, sectional disassembly, treble and bass machine adjustments, reed waxing and aperture leathers replacement, bellows repair, gasketry, grills, and celluloid/cosmetic work.

http://www.worldofaccordions.org/visit.html

Next events:
http://www.worldofaccordions.org/a_strahlconcerthall.html

I can take a box apart and put it back together. That's really not what I was getting at. A lifetime of tuning knowledge that is truly an art! Let alone all those little how to tricks it took a lifetime to develop. Priceless!

I once got to watch one set up a LMH to a LMM. Each reed he would pick up, fick, tap and prod. Yes, that one will work. No, that one won't. Why, I never got to ask. Still the same a true privilege to watch a master at work.

good question

it reminds me of a news report where it was talking about a busy (i think the last?!) master cooper in the uk (makes wooden oak beer barrels)

it was pointing out the problem here of who would take over when this man retired and carry on this art - he was looking for an apprentice but struggling to find one!

i suppose there needs to be some sort of apprentice training scheme for accordion repairers

I am completely buried in repairs at my shop, but I think the real problem is that music stores are disappearing due to Amazon and the like and they do not train people or service anything they sell ,so there are no stores hiring and training repair people.
. Repairing accordions is not a lucrative field to be in so you are not going to be getting much interest in it. It is also a symptom of the lack of school woodshop and art programs where students learn to use their hands.

There are other reasons why repair people don't train new ones because you are already working at a pretty low profit margin ,having someone in the shop looking over your shoulder and asking questions would slow you down and cost you money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back