• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Where do you keep your accordion?

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Reaction score
The gigbags for accordions that are intended to be stored in the playing orientation actually come with strap lugs to carry the bad in the playing orientation (not all of them) and when you put the accordion in the bag down in the playing orientation they zip open in such a way that you can pull the accordion up from the bag in that orientation and put it back that way too.
When an accordion is in the playing orientation all the valves are horizontal when you consider their length and vertical when you consider their width. So gravity does not pull the valves open or closed.
When you place a (LM) cassotto accordion in its feet then gravity pulls on the outside valves of the L reeds and on the inside valves of the M reeds. Fixing sagging valves for the L reeds is easy. The valves for the M reeds cannot be fixed without either removing the reed plate or the valves (which is a delicate job with tweezers).

nagant27

Reaction score
The non chambered leathers are sideways when In playing position so won’t really sag that way. I’ve seen many older accordions where the cassotto leathers are just hanging down from improper storage over time. It happens.

JIM D.

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
When a Cassotto accordion is stored in playing position the orientation of ALL THE VALVES are the same.

Tom

Prolific poster
Reaction score
I tend to alternate between my 72 and 120 bass, leaving one out ready to play (on its feet) and the other in its case (on its feet). Neither has cassotto. My organetto lives in its case on its feet, my corona 2 doesn't have a case and the old accordions are around somewhere, probably on their feet.

JerryPH

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In the temperture/humidity controlled basement I have a couch where the Elkavox, Imperator and Morino sit in upright playing position covered with a large soft cotton towel and plastic cover. Other accordions sit on end tables covered in towels and plastic covers. I have a couple of non-cassotto accordions that I "care" less about and they are in cases covered in soft towels stored in the proper position.

I've *really* wanted to make a big case to display them all, in the proper position, protected behind glass, and one day I will do this, but that's a very big project and is on a back-burner for the time being... so many other things to do!

hais1273

Reaction score
Sometime ago I built a shelf unit out of 12mm hardwood ply, the unit is approx 1500mm wide, 1200mm tall and 450mm deep. There are 4 shelves, we keep sheet music and assorted paraphenalia on the bottom, My PA's on the level above and Helen has her assorted diato's on the shelf above that, bits'n'bobs live on the top shelf, including a small TV. 3mm ply sheet at the back stops stuff falling down the back and adds rigidity, I used a half slot joint to locate the shelves on the uprights. Annoyingly, the unit wasn't as stable as I had hoped, I cured the slight wobble with right angle molding and small internal bracing on the top and bottom shelves. Job done.
The unit is sturdy and the instruments can sit on their feet, out of way of the dogs, hoover and as we discovered this morning, the damn mice!