• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Whats the connection with a Hollywood legend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulsaver

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do you recognise anyone famous - then? And famously connected to a Hollywood legend?

Attachments

• GroupSanRafael.jpg
    GroupSanRafael.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 1,766
Johnny Depp, Ronnie Barker and what looks like a young Robbie williams at the front - wasn`t that woman at the front with the 3rd eye in an episode of Dr Who ?. I`m sure there are a couple of the Kray gang in there too .

BobM said:
Pietro Deiro, married to Mae West?
Someone has to start these rumours... :D
Incorrect, but right era. I didnt know Pietro was married to Mae. That could throw people off track?

The person with the connection is actually in the pic.

Adam-T said:
Johnny Depp, Ronnie Barker and what looks like a young Robbie williams at the front - wasn`t that woman at the front with the 3rd eye in an episode of Dr Who ?. I`m sure there are a couple of the Kray gang in there too .
The men all look like Johnny Depp in something... :D

As far as lookalikes go, I've spotted Bob Geldoff left on the 2nd row, Charlie Chaplin in the same row but no moustache, at least one of the Marx brothers, Price Phillip behind Charlie...

Hi Ed; The picture still has me guessing but I do have a comment on the Pietro Deiro Mae West reply. Pietro's brother "Guido" lived with Mae West for 4 years and never married. During that time they were booked together in a vaudville act that involved Mae singing and telling jokes. An accordion was lent to her by Pietro Diero that belonged to Mrs. Pietro Diero. Mae West could not play the instrument, so while she simulated playing Guido in the wings would supply the real music. JIM D.

I may have to give you that, Jim but deduct you points for not recognising Guido. :)
Yes, whilst there appears to be debate over whether Mae & Guido were married, there is no debate about the fact he lived with her for a period between 1914 & 1920.

And while we're being generous, points also go to BOB M as he got the Mae West connection and the Deiro family. :tup: The Pietro/West connection started from an incorrect news report, according to wee Wiki.

Attachments

• GroupSanRafael - Guido deiro.jpg
    GroupSanRafael - Guido deiro.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,700
While were still on this thread I'd like to pose 2 questions on the photo you've posted. (1) What were the the three different brands of accordions in the photo. (2) What was the design of these keyboards called??? JIM D. P.S. I'll give you a hint, the three brands were all made in the same location.

Well unless there's a trick, Jim I'll go for Guerrini..
And I'll have a closer look in a while for the others. I the meantime some others can have a stab...

Attachments

• lord lovat 2.pdf
    124.3 KB · Views: 33
I think the keyboards were called "old fashioned"

Hi Glenn; The accordions in this picture all have what was called the "Harp Shaped Keyboard" and this design remained popular on accordions made in San Francisco, New York, Chicago and Italian imports from the early 1900' to the 1930's. JIM D.

Hi Ed; The Guerrini accordions in the picture are obvious and should give you a clue to the other two makes in this photo. (1) "Guerrini" (2) "Columbo & Sons" and (3) "Standard" accordions are among the different makes in this picture. They were all produced in San Francisco, California. JIM D.

JIM D. said:
Hi Ed; The Guerrini accordions in the picture are obvious and should give you a clue to the other two makes in this photo. (1) Guerrini (2) Columbo & Sons and (3) Standard accordions are among the different makes in this picture. They were all produced in San Francisco, California. JIM D.
That would have beaten me, Jim.
The PEZZOLO though was from a well known San Francisco accordion playing/teaching business run by Theodore Pezzolo & brothers:

Attachments

• Pezzolo brothers scan 75 (1).jpg
    Pezzolo brothers scan 75 (1).jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 1,707
JIM D. said:
Hi Ed; The Guerrini accordions in the picture are obvious and should give you a clue to the other two makes in this photo. (1) Guerrini (2) Columbo & Sons and (3) Standard accordions are among the different makes in this picture. They were all produced in San Francisco, California. JIM D.
That would have beaten me, Jim.
The PEZZOLO though was from a well known San Francisco accordion playing/teaching business run by Theodore Pezzolo & brothers:[/quote]

...from here. How fantastic/kitsch is that? As long as you dont live across the street... Pic taken in 1954... not by me:)

Attachments

• accordion house Pezzolo photo.jpg
    accordion house Pezzolo photo.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 1,712
Nice Picture; You've got Theodore, Gene, Caesar, John, Ralph and the one in front of the S.Pezzolo accordion Is Silvio. They never manufactured accordions but used and sold models from the Italo-American Mfg, Co. JIM D.

Note the 140 basses except one looks like buttons (and keys?) with 126 basses.

I think your referring to Silvio's accordion that has five rows of keys in a chromatic format. It looks like buttons because some of the keytops are Black. The accordion Silvio has here is a Guerrini Modello No. 27 Armonica Chromatica Con 5 File e 140 Bassi. JIM D.

Soulsaver said:
Note the 140 basses except one looks like buttons (and keys?) with 126 basses.
How did 140 bass work?
Was it a second row of counter bass along side the normal 120 bass?

The most common 140 stradella bass layout used in the early P/A's had 4 rows of chords of Maj. - Min. - 7th. - Dim. The 3 rows of single notes were Root - Counterbass 3 whole steos from root - 2nd Counterbass (closest to bellows 2 1/2 steps from root. For example (C) counterbass (E) 2nd Counterbass (Eb). The first piano accordion was introduced by Bouton in Paris in 1852 and in the early 1900's became popular in the US by the Diero brothers use of it . These early P/A's used the stradella bass already widely popular. These early P/A's could be ordered with stradella layouts such as (N.Europe) (Minor 3rd) (Bajan) (Fifth) (Finnish) and (Belgium) formats. JIM D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back