• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

What year is this vintage Paolo Soprani

brookmcl

Reaction score
This accordion was my late father-in-law's. My grandfather-in-law brought it over from Italy I believe in the 70s. My FIL was very particular about how he stored things, so I feel like this instrument is in great shape for its age and not getting any use for many years. It does need a tuning, but I just had my piano tuned so that will have to wait a couple months.

I feel like it is from the late 60s? I also am extremely new to the accordion, so what could you tell me about the instrument?

I started learning yesterday and have picked it up rather fast, but I'm coming from a background of a masters in piano performance and being a pipe organist in a church. It is fun that this instrument features aspects of those keyboards. I love my skinner organ I get to work on, but it's hard to bring that instrument home with you. I particularly enjoy being able to phrase like a vocalist with the bellows. Needless to say, I think I'm in love haha.

Thanks in advance!IMG_0213.jpg
IMG_0214.jpgIMG_0216.jpgIMG_0218.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0214.jpg
    IMG_0214.jpg
    398.3 KB · Views: 2
Welcome Brook! Glad to hear you are enjoying it. I can’t tell you much except that it is a well respected brand and so probably pretty nice. Good luck!

Welcome,

You're probably correct in estimating late 1960's or early 1970's although it's difficult to say because accordion design can be misleading, especially by an examination of the exterior of the instrument. It's a quality model from a well known and respected brand so it will definitely be worth more than a basic beginner instrument. However, the market value can be almost impossible to determine because that depends entirely on how many potential purchasers you have in your area.

I'm truly pleased that you're playing this accordion because it deserves to be played. I wish you much joy in your new musical endeavor.

it is a professional level instrument, he likely made this choice carefully
and yes, also likely took good care of it

you lucked out ending up with this, and it would be a nice tribute
to the family if you keep it going and play it your whole life thenpass
it along..

i suggest putting a package of photo's and stories of him (and you)
to keep with the accordion for future provenance

This Paolo Soprani is visually a nice example of a 4/5 accordion. Paolo Soprani was a respected name in the 60's-70's and yours is a nice example of that styling. As a guess, I feel it's more 70's than 60's, though, based on the shape of the register design. These were nice semi-professional models. Hopefully you will give that accordion the love it deserves, unlike many that are asked about here, this one sincerely deserves it (though I am of the family that all accordions deserve some love... lol).

Finally kudos to you for playing it, this one should be enjoyed often and after you give it the deserved tune-up, it will sound even better. Heads up, tuning is not easy on accordions, much harder than tuning a piano and takes an experienced tuner to get it right. Save a little longer and get it to someone that really knows how to do it justice, you will be gifted with decades of good sound.

Good luck with your "Paolo"!

Back