• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

"Vintage" accordions

I’ve always interpreted “vintage” to carry a connotation of respect and admiration beyond simply age. When auto enthusiasts seek out specific vintage cars, or audio enthusiasts pay top dollar for vintage stereo components from the 1970s, it isn’t simply because that equipment is “old.”
Ah yes, is it "antique" or is it "old crap"? You'd rather have a McIntosh than a Craig receiver? They're both vintage!

The story might actually be true — some people do inherit instruments that they didn’t even know their parent or grandparent played. In a phase of grief, you probably don't want to invest massive amounts of time to learn about the instrument you just discovered, you just want to get rid of another thing suddenly cluttering up your apartment. I think it’s better to give those things a new home than to chuck them in the landfill. And what is the seller to do but look at other listings to get an idea of the value and what kind of photos to take? The number of unwanted heirlooms floating around will only increase as the older generations pass on since making music for fun seems to be on a downward trend. And with those the “less than ideal” listings.

It makes me sad to think about all the top-class accordions that ended up in landfills because nobody knew what they had.
I don't think there's much doubt about the story at all. The problem is the seller knows nothing about accordions, and how they degrade over time. They check listings for a similar accordion that looks just as nice on the outside, and see that's it's maybe $1500 or more. So they figure that's what Grandad's accordion is worth. Except, usually, it's not. Grandad's needs $1000 of work, at least, to maybe be worth $1200.

Or they're pricing their shiny two voice student model accordion from the 1960s the same as a top end Pigini that's in perfect playing shape.

So you have no idea what you're getting. And the seller figures it's like electric guitars, where if it's the right maker, and old, and looks good, odds are it's going to sell for a ton. Nope.

I helped an ebay seller of what looked to be a largely unused diatonic excelsior by explaining that unlike PA (I didn't mention CBA's that seemed too much) that diatonics played in keys, and no one was going to buy a diatonic who knew what they were without knowing the keys. I explained how to check. I got a message "Hey thanks, I'll send you a special discount code for helping me." I did not get a special discount code.

So'm I and I'm pretty much 'crap' at most things ;)
You are undoubtedly vintage.

I'm probably expressing some frustration with where I live, where people seem to believe that all item appreciate in value over time. Even batteries. Even stuff where there's a much better new item available for less money than the asking price.

Last edited:
I understand vintage accordions do not hold any real value but I still think they are really interesting purely because of the history behind them. I wonder how often my inherited accordion was played because my grandpa doesn't even remember his grandpa playing it. It is not in great playable condition now because of rust and mold but it makes me wonder how it sounded new.

I understand vintage accordions do not hold any real value but I still think they are really interesting purely because of the history behind them. I wonder how often my inherited accordion was played because my grandpa doesn't even remember his grandpa playing it. It is not in great playable condition now because of rust and mold but it makes me wonder how it sounded new.
this is why you have heard me often urge people to make up
packets of old photo's, news clippings, and stories to include
with vintage accordions so that future owners may know
who played them and how they were a part of someone's life

we can be caretakers, rather than just being consumers..

I once bought a box of old chess books from Lithuania. Somebody selling off stuff inherited from his grandad's attic. Inside the books I found strips of negatives from several rolls of family photos from 60s-80s. I got quite excited and wrote to the guy asking if he'd like me to send them back for their family collection. The answer was "No, just throw them away" o_O.

Back