• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Valse Traditionel

Status
Not open for further replies.

hais1273

Reaction score
Here are a couple of Waltzes from the Auvergne. Lo Rossignol followed by Belle Bergere

They were recorded awhile ago and are a bit average!

Thanks for posting, very enjoyable and what seems to me a real proper French trad feel. And I don't think it's easy to get the feel of a style without a lot of listening. If there are more where that came from, I'd enjoy hearing them.

Thankyou! I listen to a lot of this sort of music, I enjoy the dancey side as well. Down here in the Brighton area we're very fortuneate to have a some fantastic musicians who play in the French Folky Style. I will be putting some more clips up in time. The last 12 months or so have been, difficult, so I haven't done as much as I hoped, anyway things are improving, early retirement is now on the cards (woohoo!) I think I would play the tunes with a bit more oomph and a little more expression now .

Bravo for posting those which I really enjoyed as very French sounding waltzes and thanks for putting up the vid clip. Like Matt I would be happy to hear more. I was interested that you appeared to play in the upper treble region with apparently at least 3 voices selected on your nice looking Fantini. Is that a regular choice ?

We play quite a lot of traditional French dance tunes on, for the moment, Melodeon, English Concertina, and Fiddle (Marj'). We are trying hard to transfer some of these to PA and CBA-C (Marj') but finding it a struggle at times.

As you know many of these tunes are simple at first sight, but playing them well for dance can be quite demanding.

With push/pull Melodeon it is natural to give the music that foot-tapping lift, and I find it very frustrating to that I seem unable to do this on PA which just sounds 'treacly legato' most of the time if I'm not careful. It must be all down to good bellows control, even harder to acquire than playing the notes (and Basses !!).

That is the downside I suppose to having, for a change, a fully chromatic instrument with all those lovely chords.

I have been trying on my PA to replicate Flo Glorions phrasing style of Schottisch de Retz' (ref her tutor 'Methode d'accordion chromatique' and website) which sounds so deliciously punchy on her Salterelle CBA.

Is it only me that finds it possible to have: a) the melody line notes pretty much or b) the correct bass buttons and not 'draggy' or c) decent appealing phrasing …. but seldom all three at once !!!

Squeeze on !

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back