• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Unusual annoying noise

johnmjg

Reaction score
I have a Titano Stroller which is about 8 months old. There is a very annoying hum/rattle that can be heard when playing low, bass notes (left hand). Sorry for not providing a better description. I am new to the accordion and don't know the proper verbiage. This didn't seem apparent when it was new and some have said it is a normal sound. Yikes, almost $7k for this sound????

I welcome advice.

Are you talking about bass growl, I.e. a growling noise after you stop playing a bass note? That would be perfectly normal since the reeds cannot stop their movement immediately because they don’t have a damper as in a piano.

If it’s like a mechanical rattling, could it be that a reed got loose? You could open the accordion and check yourself before shipping it to your dealer.

I welcome advice.
hum/rattle that can be heard when playing low, bass notes

Basically there are two possibilities:
A/ It is sounding after the end of playing the given note on the given key / button. It's fine then, it's a normal "reverberation", caused by the continued vibration of the large bass-reed, which often has brass weights on the end, so it doesn't stop immediately when the airflow stops.
B/ If it is heard continuously during the playing, then it is a problem. But a more skilled serviceman has no problem setting it up and I don't expect big financial costs...

I am new to the accordion and don't know the proper verbiage.

... BTW, 7$k is already enough of an incentive to entrust the instrument to a professional and not to try to do DIY repairs without previous skills in this field.

Best regards,
Vladimir

Last edited:
... BTW, 7$k is already enough of an incentive to entrust the instrument to a professional and not to try to do DIY repairs without previous skills in this field.
And if the accordion is just 8 months old it should certainly be repaired under warranty.

Back