• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Tune of June - folky: The Agnes Waltz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyanka

Prolific poster
Reaction score
This one was nominated by Nathen and BobM, so I hope that they will lead the way by playing the tune for us.

Sheet music below (kindly provided by Nathen).
Feel free to post YouTube links of favourite versions for the Earate Players!

Attachments

• Agnes Waltz.pdf
    516.4 KB · Views: 654
just put agnes waltz on you tube for several renditions. Their is one of Jimmy shand lifted from an old 78 record, one of bob aand hector an Australian duo and one of melodeonman52 aka Ian Cruikshanks and his band ( Ian on shand MOrino plus two piano boxes!. Also a fiddle rendition.

george

and one of Mantovani and his archestra for those who like that sort of thing.

george

Nice choice, can't wait to get started on it {}

Edit: OK, I didn't wait.

Anyone else having trouble with that first Em? Just not sounding right to me. Might be because I'm playing too slow (or because there is no "right"...), would like to hear other opinions please!

Possibly the chord is simply wrong. I haven't tried it yet but looks like it cound be Am from the notes.

Pippa said:
Nice choice, cant wait to get started on it {}

Edit: OK, I didnt wait.

Anyone else having trouble with that first Em? Just not sounding right to me. Might be because Im playing too slow (or because there is no right...), would like to hear other opinions please!

as far as I am aware Hannah wrote the agnes waltz when he played a 2 row 24 bass 12x2 (bass and maj chord) box so he would not have had any miner chords. The version on here will have a differing arrangement so in a way anything goes

george

george garside said:
Pippa said:
Nice choice, cant wait to get started on it {}

Edit: OK, I didnt wait.

Anyone else having trouble with that first Em? Just not sounding right to me. Might be because Im playing too slow (or because there is no right...), would like to hear other opinions please!

as far as I am aware Hannah wrote the agnes waltz when he played a 2 row 24 bass 12x2 (bass and maj chord) box so he would not have had any miner chords. The version on here will have a differing arrangement so in a way anything goes

george

Finding said anything not my strength... however I think Ill go with G/D for that particular one

I sort of cant believe Im posting this with the same section botched twice. But I think my nearest and dearest and other less appropriate places where I could practice are probably getting sick of the sound of Agnes so here it is. Played it out a couple of times as well, so this has been good to get a new tune together to some extent. In terms of style, Im going a lot quicker than the slow waltz Jimmy Shand recording and a lot less subtle even when the nerves dont get the better of me. This is based on the people that would be listening to it being non-dancing people who I thought would probably prefer it quicker. There are many other points that could be criticised, probably with good reason (for instance, a certain little thing I built in that I swear I was able to play quietly when rehearsing but is really loud now).

Anyway:

Well played Matt. It certainly has drive and energy. Indeed not a Mr Shand style but one thing that has been putting me off thies piece is the Jimmy Shand recording which reminds me too much of country dancing lessons at school. I prefer your no prisoners taken approach. I think I will have a go this week and record a part of it to post here.

I like what you've done with it, Matt - your playing style really suits the tune, and so does the tuning of your Soprani. I didn't get anywhere with this waltz myself, so thank you for being first to post!

I like it Matt ( and for what its worth I am a disciple of Shand!) The way you play it has very much in the & style of the old fairground organ and indeed the Agnes waltz was played on some of them. Many of the old tyme waltzes were adapted for fairground organs at the sort of tempo you have used.

george

I get the "steam organ" reference, and it's fair enough and no insult either, this has that delightful lilting and slightly swinging feel to it that those machines always generate. Only one obvious fumble....and that only 'cos like me you pointed it out you loon....apparently we should not mention and we may get away with the odd blooper .....nice post ............firsties as well I think me old fruit bat ! :b :ch

Thanks very much everybody, and I quite like the idea of being the "Smethwick steam organ"... Steam organ version of "Tristesse"/Chopin coming up?

I decided to stick with a traditional approach, I hope. couple of bloopers where my mind was ahead of my fingers but as posters seem to be few and far between I thought Id join Matt so here it is.

Nice fun recording Alun, I enjoyed that and I like the ornaments on the downward run, might try to steal them...

nice rendition Alun . As hopefully 'constructive criticism' the bass is perhaps just a shade too heavy/prominent in places to the detriment of a lovely melody.

george ;)

Thanks Matt be my guest steal anything you want. I frequently do! Copying / modifying is how music developes.

George I agree with you I'm not sure whether it was poor mic placement or personal positioning caused it. Will monitor more carefully next time.

Regards Alun

"Toppie" as they say in Dutch. Thanks for the performance Alun.
I don't have the problem with heavy bass as I played it through a pair of speakers that are so small I can't find them any more :)

Well it shows how folks vary ...I like the bass part..... but I like a lot of bass and full bass...George and I will have to agree to disagree on that :lol: ,nicely played ....was that straight to mic from the on boards or through an interface of some description? Good tune. :ch {} :ch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back