• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Troubleshooting the Roland FR-3X set editor

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoriBrooke

Reaction score
I have been trying to use the Set Editor for a Roland FR-3X for the first time. I tried some of the tricks mentioned in a thread (made sure I have a new enough version of Java installed, tried opening the file from the C drive, etc) but when I open the jar file, I very briefly see a command line screen appear then disappear. I get no errors, at least none that I can see. And the User Interface for the app does not show up. This was all attempted on a Windows 7 PC. Any advice about how to get this to work? Could it be that my virus protection software is blocking the jar file from opening?

I have been trying to use the Set Editor for a Roland FR-3X for the first time. I tried some of the tricks mentioned in a thread (made sure I have a new enough version of Java installed, tried opening the file from the C drive, etc) but when I open the jar file, I very briefly see a command line screen appear then disappear. I get no errors, at least none that I can see. And the User Interface for the app does not show up. This was all attempted on a Windows 7 PC. Any advice about how to get this to work? Could it be that my virus protection software is blocking the jar file from opening?
I had exactly the same problem and, if memory serves me, I found I had 2 different programs on my pc for restoring the compressed files.
I removed one and it then worked

Rule 1: Make sure JAVA is installed on your PC (WIN7 is no longer supported by Microsoft and we also don't know what apps you have installed the may impede it such as antivirus software, settings, etc... so that may be an issue).

Rule 2: The Editor from Roland is in s ZIPPED file. Make sure the contents are extracted and in their own folder, easy to access.

Rule 3: Run the editor "as administrator" level of access.

It really should not be any harder than that! The most common problem that I saw here is that people tried to run the app while opened with a decompressor but NOT extracted and placed in it's own directory and not under the influence of the unzipping app. You cannot do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back