• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Thoughts on new Petosa?

It's been two weeks and I have sent three emails to Petosa regarding an accordion they have for sale and no response. In contrast, I emailed Allodi in the UK about an accordion and I received two emails from him in less than 12 hours. I emailed Accordion Gallery and he got back to me in hours and even informed me he would be out of town for about a month and asked for me to wait until he returns to send me some sound clips.
Pick up the phone and give Mr Petosa a call.
(206) 632-2700

Pick up the phone and give Mr Petosa a call.
(206) 632-2700
No point now. He sold the accordion yesterday.

I will give Guenadiy a call when he gets back into town even though I'm not interested in the specific accordion he emailed me pictures of. He may however, come into contact with the one I want someday.

My wife and I were in Seattle for a few days a few years ago. As a side trip, we took the half-hour drive to Lynwood to visit Petosa. My purpose at that point was to look at the Bugari Evo and compare it to the Roland FR-8x, but while there I learned a few things about the company, their acoustic instruments, etc. For example, I learned that buying a used instrument from Petosa means getting a very good guarantee on that instrument and buying a new Petosa-branded accordion from them means getting a lifetime guarantee on that instrument. I learned that their repair shop has glass windows and for minor adjustments you can actually watch them do the work. I learned that there’s is a family business and is likely to remain so for a long time to come, that they stand behind everything they sell. I learned that their Petosa-branded accordions are, indeed made in the Zero Sette factory to Petosa’s specifications, and that they offer some degree of customization on special orders. While there, I was introduced to everyone who was currently working there, and treated like a regular customer although at the time I only bought some music books and a couple of t-shirts. But I walked out with the feeling that I had just witnessed quality people selling quality products.
Thank you, Alan, that's very reassuring. The problem I have in Los Angeles is that there are no longer any accordion dealers and techs here. I did buy a couple of 50+ year old Hohner Tango IIM instruments for about $300 each -- they were in good shape when I got them, considering their age, but as I was practicing on them for several hours a day, they quickly developed problems...stuck reeds, valve covers coming loose, sticking keys...rendering them ultimately unplayable -- and my abilities as a tech are extremely limited. It's the reason I think I should just invest in a new or reasonably new accordion.

My other alternative Liberty Bellows in Philadelphia. I played a couple of Beltuna models there, but they are no less expensive than Petosa, and further away. I have to think about proximity for future repairs. And I've heard that one might have to wait a year or two after ordering an instrument in Castelfidardo. I love the sound of the Victoria accordions, but where does one find them in the US? So all in all, Petosa seems a reliable and ultimately economical place to get a quality instrument. I've spoken to the Petosa's on the phone, and they have answered every email inquiry I've sent right away.

That’s surprising to me. I’ve had every email I’ve sent to Petosa answered almost immediately. I don’t doubt what you say, but wondering whether they received your inquiry.
I emailed them both on their website as well as through Reverb.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 13
Thank you, Alan, that's very reassuring. The problem I have in Los Angeles is that there are no longer any accordion dealers and techs here. I did buy a couple of 50+ year old Hohner Tango IIM instruments for about $300 each -- they were in good shape when I got them, considering their age, but as I was practicing on them for several hours a day, they quickly developed problems...stuck reeds, valve covers coming loose, sticking keys...rendering them ultimately unplayable -- and my abilities as a tech are extremely limited. It's the reason I think I should just invest in a new or reasonably new accordion.

My other alternative Liberty Bellows in Philadelphia. I played a couple of Beltuna models there, but they are no less expensive than Petosa, and further away. I have to think about proximity for future repairs. And I've heard that one might have to wait a year or two after ordering an instrument in Castelfidardo. I love the sound of the Victoria accordions, but where does one find them in the US? So all in all, Petosa seems a reliable and ultimately economical place to get a quality instrument. I've spoken to the Petosa's on the phone, and they have answered every email inquiry I've sent right away.
I hate to sound like a broken record but my experience differs. I purchased 3 new accordions from Italy by contacting the makers directly. Not only did I get a much better price than buying retail in the states, I received them all in weeks, not months or years. However, I did not purchase any "special" features, your experience may differ.

I hate to sound like a broken record but my experience differs. I purchased 3 new accordions from Italy by contacting the makers directly. Not only did I get a much better price than buying retail in the states, I received them all in weeks, not months or years. However, I did not purchase any "special" features, your experience may differ.
Could you tell me which Italian makers you purchased from?

Large manufacturers (Pigini, Bugari...) will have some stock of popular models in standard configuration (no special register or tuning requests) but smaller companies only start production after receiving an order, and large manufacturers when they are out of stock of what you want will only start production after receiving enough orders for that model. When the accordion you want still has to be produced then some of the faster companies may take 3 to 6 months (that has been my experience with Bugari for instance) and others can take over 2 years (happens with Pigini sometimes, although the bass accordion I ordered only took 3 or 4 months).
Essentially it's the luck of the draw how long you have to wait. But... when you order through a dealer the weight will very likely be similar to what you can get directly from a manufacturer.

Thank you. I’m a relatively new accordionist, though I’ve been a pianist for a very long time, and I just need a single instrument relatively quickly. According to a note I received from Victoria accordion, it would take several months…but the difficulty I face is what to do when an instrument might need work, as there is a dearth of accordion techs here in Los Angeles. That’s what makes Petosa an appealing choice —easy to get to Washington. Thanks for your input!

Reactions: Tom

you will fins local sales and service in the links, and
San Fran is a lot closer and more fun than Seattle
(sorry Toby)
unless you really like flying fish more than anything

Large manufacturers (Pigini, Bugari...) will have some stock of popular models in standard configuration (no special register or tuning requests) but smaller companies only start production after receiving an order, and large manufacturers when they are out of stock of what you want will only start production after receiving enough orders for that model. When the accordion you want still has to be produced then some of the faster companies may take 3 to 6 months (that has been my experience with Bugari for instance) and others can take over 2 years (happens with Pigini sometimes, although the bass accordion I ordered only took 3 or 4 months).
Essentially it's the luck of the draw how long you have to wait. But... when you order through a dealer the weight will very likely be similar to what you can get directly from a manufacturer.
Paul, have you had any experience with accordions made by G. Verde? From what I have seen, they are practically unknown in the US, except for one dealer not far away from me i Ner Jersey, and one person who custom ordered a G. Verde accordion through that dealer and another who’s had his for a long time. They seem to be quality instruments,

Paul, have you had any experience with accordions made by G. Verde? From what I have seen, they are practically unknown in the US, except for one dealer not far away from me i Ner Jersey, and one person who custom ordered a G. Verde accordion through that dealer and another who’s had his for a long time. They seem to be quality instruments,
I heard of them but I don't think I ever saw a G. Verde "in the flesh".

I heard of them but I don't think I ever saw a G. Verde "in the flesh".
I once visited Alex at Music Magic and tried it out. It seemed to be a quality instrument.

Thank you. I’m a relatively new accordionist, though I’ve been a pianist for a very long time, and I just need a single instrument relatively quickly. According to a note I received from Victoria accordion, it would take several months…but the difficulty I face is what to do when an instrument might need work, as there is a dearth of accordion techs here in Los Angeles. That’s what makes Petosa an appealing choice —easy to get to Washington. Thanks for your input!
Dave, at Dave's Accordion in the San Fernando Valley which is less that an hour drive from downtown Los Angeles, is an excellent repair person. I know he does work for other companies that require a local technician.

Great! Sax player could use some fashion advice but they all sound good!

No point now. He sold the accordion yesterday.

I will give Guenadiy a call when he gets back into town even though I'm not interested in the specific accordion he emailed me pictures of. He may however, come into contact with the one I want someday.
Guenadiy Lazarov at the Accordion Gallery is excellent! I’ve visited him 2-3 times in New Jersey and between his inventory, knowledge, skill, and helpfulness I highly recommend him. I’m on the east coast however.

Back