• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Thought it best to introduce myself before becoming a right PITB

JulesMartin

Reaction score
Hi, as previously mentioned, I'm in my late 60's and having found an old 12 bass in the loft in need of repair I've decided to bite the bullet and invest in a slightly larger instrument and start my accordion journey. I've been looking at a lot of different instruments and I've come across a few that have gauges on them. Some of the gauges have P & F on them. I don't know but would that be Piano and Forte? if that is the case how would that work and why would it be of use to anybody? Be kind if I've just asked a really stupid question! This is all very new to me.

Welcome Jules! Hard to say exactly without a picture, but maybe these are volume knobs for internal microphones?

Hi JulesMartin,
never seen an accordion with gauges on.
Maybe you are looking at the switch registers which engage/disengage the various couplers (different tones) on the larger accordions. Never seen P & F either.
The switch registers bring in different tunings as in Musette or different octaves.
They also allow you to combine different settings.
The only way to alter the volume is via the bellows, or what is known as a sordina which softens the sound on some accordions.

Some of the older accordions did have a 'gauge' to show which register you were in,
sort of like a gear indicator in an automatic car.

I can't find one with P and F on but now wondering if its the names of the different 'voices'?

Attachments

• Accordion gauge 2.jpg
    Accordion gauge 2.jpg
    370.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Accordion gauge 1.jpg
    Accordion gauge 1.jpg
    488.4 KB · Views: 17
Yep, that's the sort of gauge I remember, fairly certain it responds to the current treble register switch choice.
Can't see why it's really needed, unless the treble register switch is a toggle maybe.
Do a picture of the register switches.

Here's a similar model: https://reverb.com/en-be/item/15094...-34-student-intermediate-size-20-14-accordion
Which seems to have the P/F meter

oprwypjshw0rjc1cvamu.1.jpg

The description says "1 treble select".
It's possible the switch is actually on the back of the keyboard (and operated using the thumb).
if its a treble select then does the P and F stand for Piccolo and Flute maybe? rather than quiet and loud. Odd design though if it is as it looks as though it is showing degrees. Seems to be only on vintage instruments

It's also possible it's to make sure you're playing too loud (F).

Edit: The 2/3 version is probably the number of treble reeds playing, so similar to P/F.

Usually, these gages indicate whether or not the lowest octave ("bassoon") reeds are engaged. It's safe to say that's what it indicates on this accordion. Now for some speculation ... I'm guessing that the original guess as to what P and F stand for was correct: P for piano (bassoon reeds disengaged, so the accordion is not as loud), F for forte (all reeds engaged).

I can't find one with P and F on but now wondering if its the names of the different 'voices'?
Accordion is probably an LMM voicing. The Gauge is showing weather you are using 2 or 3 voices.
You will hear the difference when you switch between the two.

Back