• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

The story of a used Roland FR-1x

Status
Not open for further replies.
just use a string bass tone + accordion sound on the chords

maybe that compromise will feel better for your ear

I have a FR-1xb and a FR-4xb, and really enjoy them both. You can spend a considerable amount of time adjusting the air flow regulator by the air release button to find the right spot for you as to how freely the bellows move in and out. If I open it up all the way the bellows move quite a bit as you play it. I just wish the air noise was dispersed better, but if you have the volume up enough it isn't too bad. Then, coupling that with the bellows sensitivity setting in the accordion (the 4xb has more options here than the 1xb) you can get some surprisingly sensitive settings. And even then, setting the minimum bellows sound level, I can get a decent bellows shake out of it, as the minimum volume makes up for the reeds that would retain their energy/sound/whatever during a real bellows shake. In the end, it is an accordion and it is not an accordion and everywhere in between. It has great strengths and some weaknesses, but so does everything. In the end, I am very happy with both of them for all the possibilities they open up.

for me, the air flow regulator feels kind of like walking down the stairs and one step is missing

i feel the whoosh is too sudden

whereas the air flow in an acoustic is resisted in a normal way by reeds,
giving me something to "push against" which i kind of need to feel

there are a couple of digital bellows sensitivities i can live with but
i also keep the volume higher than most people would, which then
lets me move the bellows minimally and with easier (for me)
control and feel

seems like each V-Accordion owner goes through this until they
find a combination that feels good for them

ciao

Ventura

most of the time I end up doodling away in some chair and never feel like moving the bellows too much

that's another big plus for me

I settled on a combination that feels right for day to day use, the volume pot makes it even easier

Here are two clips of FR-1x audio of the fast-growing favourite SET/REG of mine: SET32/3A

I've been doing quick outtakes of vocal backing tracks and the FR-1x is just killer for that! Dead clean recording, sweet sound with minimal tweaking.

Two irish tune snippets of backing tracks for vocal recording:

I love that tone!

See:
I had the same problem a few years ago. I contacted Hohner and was directed to an authorized repairman six miles from my house. I made the appointment and met him at his garage workshop. He inspected it and ordered the part. Later, between us we removed the bass end I held it while he replaced the entire bass end, swapping out the serial number stickers. It’s worked fine ever since. I have tinkered with about eight PAs before and it was strange to see no reeds inside.

I had the same problem a few years ago. I contacted Hohner and was directed to an authorized repairman six miles from my house. I made the appointment and met him at his garage workshop. He inspected it and ordered the part. Later, between us we removed the bass end I held it while he replaced the entire bass end, swapping out the serial number stickers. It’s worked fine ever since. I have tinkered with about eight PAs before and it was strange to see no reeds inside.
Swapping out for a new part would have been my preference as well, as opposed to a DIY fix. But I couldn't really find an entrance how to go about ordering that wihout knowing details like part number or where to order. Would be nice to know if that could still be done today, even after shutdown of the FR1x production.

Some Irish tracks on the FR1x (w.i.p.)

I've done some more recording with the SET32 and added the lead vocal. So far the tracks are still samples and the FR1x. These basic mixdowns are sent to a violist and guitarist to add there parts in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom
NEW update w.i.p. "Irish"

Thought I'd update this with violin and guitar parts added. Some minor adjustments here and there.

Current state of tracks (the best I could get it myself):

Tasks remaining: endings, stops, backing vocals (female) and mix/master by a sound engineer.

You are really making good use of your 1X - wish I'd kept mine especially given the trade-in I accepted.
Coincidence: I too found myself regularly going back to SET 32. I think I shaved a bit of the tremolo?

Yes!
SET32/REG 3A: what I call "the Irish patch" - the other registers in there are fairly useless to me.

When you really zoom into it, default 3A sounds pretty artificial and 'modulated' though. It's default bass register is OK.

I must experiment and tweak it a bit someday. But for these demo's it does the job nicely and sits well in the mix.

I just ordered one. An addition to my other accordion, FR4x. Yes it is smaller, but may have some entertainment value?

Update 2021 Q2

A new quarter of the year, a new project. This time I went on to do some balfolk style stuff.

I laid out these rudimentary arrangements with the FR1x as an audio & MIDI input. We will be recording actual instruments over it live later on.

The first one is a composition for flute by Pieter Campo, based on the 'pavane' dance.

The second one are two hanter dro's (Mon père avait un gars lonla and a variation).

I just ordered one. An addition to my other accordion, FR4x. Yes it is smaller, but may have some entertainment value?
I have a 1x but lust after a 4x - not altogether sure why. I would be interested in such comparison of the two as you might offer us all.
Doug

UPDATE

Initial recording has taken place for the new project 'BALFOLK' with 3 tracks.

The FR1x SET32/3A is a nice compagnon for the flute, at least in my ears.

Here is the first basic mix after recording flute and guitar (slow strumming part):

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom
New forum user looking for information on a recently purchased FR-1x. Sorry if I'm using the wrong forum.

I used to play standard accordians many yrs ago but sold them after moving home as I didn't want to upset the new neighbours!
I have a couple of questions.

1. The sound level seems louder when closing the bellows than when opening them. Are there two sensors for pressure? Could there be a faulty one? Anyone have similar experiences?

2. I am going to buy a USB pendrive to upload/download files but can't find any info on the maximum storage limit for the instrument.

3 Can the Roland sound extension files (Alpine, Dallape & Orchestra ) be played direct from the USB drive or do they have to be loaded into the instrument to function?

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies

Welcome and congrats Andy! If it's new, and there is wide discrepancy in the bellows check the "bellows issues" section in the trouble shooting psrt of the manual. Apparently many Fr1 bellows need a reset. Other than that, I don't know. More knowledgeable people will help you....

Roland recommends their own flashdrive but that might not be for good reason?
I guess any reliable 2Gig would do.

See the manual p 67 'troubleshooting' for
The bellows exhibits an erratic behaviour
the adjustment is straightforward.
Also people new to the Roland find it helpful to adjust the bellows curve adjustment ( blc) see page49

Don't think the Dallapé is for the 1X - could be wrong.
The Alpine extension is available for download- Roland FR1X support update.
The download includes instructions - se p22 for FR1X

Last edited:
Roland recommends their own flashdrive but ...
I guess any reliable 2Gig would do.

Don't think the Dallapé is for the 1X - could be wrong.
Welcome. PA or CBA? I have used non-Roland USB sticks in my FR-1x without any problem. You can put the Dallapé extension on the 1x - it has to be loaded, not played from the stick - but you then have to choose between the Alpine and AccOrchestra extensions if you want to add more, since the 1x only has room to hold two extensions at a time. What is played directly from the stick is any audio backing files that you want to use, though you need to make your own title crib sheet as they will only be identified on the 1x display as a number.
Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back