• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

The story of a used Roland FR-1x

Status
Not open for further replies.

jozz

Player
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I finally picked up a digital accordion last week. I thought it would be nice to collect my findings of it here.

It is a used FR-1x of around 2014:

DSC_0576.JPG

My reason for finally buying digital is mainly that I could practice in silence, and late in the evening with sleeping kids (I have now one small kid and a fresh baby).

My findings so far:
- playability is not so bad, after a couple of hours when you get used to the difference from an acoustic
- it is silent if you wish - while maintaining some bellows expression (my main concern)

So far I'v only just begun playing around with it. The only thing I have changed is setting the reverb to 0.

Nice plan.....i just used to sellotape cotton wool around my sleeping babies heads....
Enjoy the silence

I have one of these also. I haven't got to grips with it yet though, because I have difficulty understanding the manual. I can do the basics but everything else seems so complicated. Others may laugh at this of course. I know that I just need to spend more time reading the manual carefully.
I hope you can get the best out of yours.
Tiposx

Buy an acoustic: spend your time playing it!
Buy an electronic: spend your time studying the manual and learning about batteries and chargers!?

that might be true

finding #1: I absolutely need the manual.

The buttons and display are not very self-explanatory for a first-user. First thing I learned is the difference between SETS and registers and how that they are arranged under the buttons.

finding #2: The straps and bass strap are nice.

Shoulder straps can be made nice and long, and the bass strap with velcro is a dream.

that might be true

finding #1: I absolutely need the manual.

The buttons and display are not very self-explanatory for a first-user. First thing I learned is the difference between SETS and registers and how that they are arranged under the buttons.

finding #2: The straps and bass strap are nice.

Shoulder straps can be made nice and long, and the bass strap with velcro is a dream.
My Fr-1X is about the same age, bought new. Most of the time I am in musician mode (analogue), but sometimes I get adventurous and go into engineering mode and try to create new sets or change the sound. Then the mindset goes to mostly digital. It's hard to do both at the same time while trying to remember Music Theory 101 from 1965. The manual has most of the answers to my questions but is indeed challenging.
I play in "my" den with earbuds and the power chord, having given up on keeping two sets of 8 rechargeable batteries in rotation.
Fortunately a friend recently gave me a Petosa with the full 41/120 and my wife can barely hear me at the other end of the house.

The possibilities are vast. Have fun.
Craig

Got a FR-1xb a few months ago and love it. It has a much wider treble range than the piano version (37 notes v. 26). The manual is not that bad, and the user interface with the buttons can stay simple. Two things to remember: the Sets and the Registers! A set is an accordion model, registers work like any accordion except you have multiple settings on each button. If you want the orchestral sounds drums, etc then that's another ball game but I don't really use them. I installed the Dallapé sound extension and it is quite something! Have fun.

Get a hold of the Roland FR-1X Getting Started Instructional DVDs from Roxy's. It will save you a lot of time and headache.

My first headache is that it doesn't recall the last used register when turning off and on again. It always reverts to the default '222' set (I am only using it on power adapter, don't know if it remembers on batteries).

I guess I need to store a USER set so that I can call my preference with the USER PROGRAM button more easily.

Not sure about the FR1 but on the FR8 you can change the startup register. This is done in an edit menu somewhere unless the FR1 has omitted this. It will have nothing to do with batteries or power supply as the settings are stored internally and refreshed using a power source on the internal circuit board. A technology that Roland are very competent at.

FR1x does not allow changing the startup register. But the user can save the settings in “User Programs” and recall them easily.

See section 11 of the owner’s manual.

Ok, here is some more information from a first-user perspective:

Good:
- The thing trains my timing: the way it instantly starts off a note after a keypress is unforgiving. I really have to nail the timing, especially basses.
- Oldbayan said: SET is an accordion, REGISTER is register button with multi function. This insight made it much clearer for me. Thanks! I was searching for a long list of registers in the manual, instead I need to choose an accordion first. I found a couple that are usable to me.
- Did some recording with it. Nothing like a subtle accordion performance but mixed in with a full electric band, absolutely perfect for that. Spend some time picking the right accordion (SET) and then the right register to have the sound sit perfectly in the blend of a multi track recording. With a little bit of expressive playing, you really don't care it's a digital accordion in the mix. Very happy about this.

Bad:
- Nothing extreme but it's kinda heavy for a plastic box. It's a lot heavier than my Unisella (32 bass).
- I hate having to plug it into power outlet each time! I still prefer it over batteries though.
- Treble keyboard is kind of limiting (26, B-C). I really need 34, G-E most of the time.

I just bought one. I am a newbie. Don’t know anything about sets or how to install them. Would like a great cassotto sound. Does that exist?
Thanks
John
Denmark

>> Treble keyboard is kind of limiting (26, B-C). I really need 34, G-E most of the time.

This is one of the reasons why I switched from PA to CBA.

Note that on the FR-1x, the "User Program" saves the octave-transposition setting. You can save the user program and during play, recall the transposition with one button push.

It's not the same as having a greater range, but is a worthwhile workaround.

I just bought one. I am a newbie. Don’t know anything about sets or how to install them. Would like a great cassotto sound. Does that exist?
Thanks
John
Denmark

A "great" cassotto sound may be overrated but I think the SET 32/REG 1A is a 16" in cassotto. There are others but this one I remembered.

Second headache:

Bass strap broke!

According to this thread, it is a design flaw of the early FR-1x's (2014). Possibly this unit hasn't been played a lot if it breaks down in 2020... :)

Anyway, the thread sums up the same problem as I have, but how to fix this properly?

• I'm going to try and fabricate a backplate for it to go underneath and a thin piece on top to sandwich the broken bit into place with some epoxy.
  • Was wondering if the whole speaker shell can be replaced with a newer one that supposedely doesn't have the flaw. But where to get it?
  • Anybody have any better tips?

Attachments

• DSC_0030.JPG
    DSC_0030.JPG
    186.1 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_0031.JPG
    DSC_0031.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_0035.JPG
    DSC_0035.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 25
Jozz,
Fhwhooaah!!!?
This, to me, is the almost inevitable problem with anything made of plastic: it eventually becomes brittle and breaks, all by itself: household items, motor car parts and....accordions!?
I have a 30 year old Bugari Champion Casotto .
This has a plastic part (slide?) in the coupler mechanism. So far, it has broken twice. The last time, it cost me A$500-00 and a five month wait for parts from Italy!
My oldest accordion (70 years+ Busilacchio) has shown no problems with the coupler mechanism ever: no plastic!
( Same with my other accordions)

Even if you strengthen the anchor point, by reinforcing with metal, unfortunately your anchor points may well be brittle themselves: check around. Overall, epoxy plus metal ( or wood?) could well be the best option ??

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back