• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

The smoother side of French musette

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

maugein96

The history of French musette accordion has been very well documented over the years, from its infancy on diatonic and mixte instruments, right up until the present day of the reedless digi boxes. Anybody with more than a passing interest in the genre will be familiar with the big name stars, and all of those schmaltzy type tunes associated with the romance of Paris.

The music has been played for over a century by musicians worldwide, from the very rough and ready musette pur to the more refined jazzy offerings of the modern day era.

In the period between the two 20th century world wars, various French accordionists decided that it was time the accordion lost its rough edge, and set about abandoning the three voice musette in favour of drier tuning. No doubt American jazz and swing played its part, as confirmed by the americain title given to the new sound. From that period onwards standard French accordions were typically made to cater for two principal schools of accordionists. The MMM musette tuning continued regardless, and was certainly the most popular amongst the big recording artistes. However, the LMM with bassoon reed and two flutes were produced in numbers to cater for those who had decided to abandon the three voice musette and go jazzy. Through time the LMM tended to predominate over the MMM, although the MMM continued to be popular.

How many of you have heard of an accordionist named Gilbert Roussel, from Calais? He was one of those pioneers of americain tuning. He played as part of the Trio Cavagnolo with Fred Alban, and Joss Baselli, and all of their accordions were dry tuned. Roussel played the Belgian bass system, and made several recordings backed up by an orchestra, often conducted by a guy named Roger Roger. (Yes Yes really really!). He later went back to classical accordion in the orchestra of Jean Wiener, a French pianist and composer.

Here is a clip of Gilbert Roussel playing musette style with orchestral backing, courtesy of Monsieur Roger Roger. Thought it might go some way to plug the musette style with the classical players among you. This is musette the way it was, albeit in a classical studio setting.

Anybody interested in hearing Mr Roussel playing classical, here is a link, to an albeit rather long clip.The music is different, but the accordion sounds the same!

Thank You:
A Great Post On This Forum: :tup:
If you care to continue on this subject, I will be glad to discuss the history of accordion tuning on both sides of the pond we life on.

JIM D.

Sorry Jim D, I must have been editing this post when you commented. I was afraid I'd be timed out before I completed it.

Hope you've got it all now.

Accordion tunings have always mesmerised me a bit, but I would be very keen to know more, as I'm sure a lot of forum members would, also.

Thanks indeed for posting this topic!

Very interesting to here Gilbert Roussel , I was not aware of him.... there's more to this subject than can be absorbed in a year or two's study obviously!

A couple of days ago I visited an old player who was selling a Cavagnolo Vedette 10... I thought I'd be interested in buying. It turned to be an early model ( probably a Pro 12 but I did not open it to see how many voices) with LMMH and 'Americain' musette tuning. A very different sound indeed to my MMM and LMMM musette models. When he played some " Thé Dansant" repertoire the sound was exactly the Paris Romance that we know from the big recording stars . So, I could put a name ( or tuning) to that sound scape. It is not the sort of accordeon I have come across 'in the flesh' before... Very nice it was but not for the type of music I am trying to play .

So, I have gone back to the three voice, 5hz each way, Musette with renewed apprieciation of its usefullness for the pre war styles and its use with the Augvernates in Paris Cabrette genres. Although, with a strong 3 voice Musette it is sometimes a pleasant relief to have a Basson voice with a Bandoneon register for some tunes.

Please , more discussions and examples... very interesting Maugein96.

Geoff.

Geoff,

The only one I've seen "in the flesh" was a Vedette played by an old Scots guy named Tommy Kettles, who may still be with us, but I'm not sure. Tommy was a player of traditional Scottish music who "converted" to musette, and went across to France to further his interests. He described his accordion as a "Jo Basile" model, and I believe it was LMMH with the bassoon and piccolo reeds set in separate tone chambers. When I last spoke to him over 20 years ago he was still playing regularly at a small venue in Monaco. He used to play regularly in French restaurants in Scotland, and was a delight to listen to. His instrument evoked those romantic Parisian airs you mention, and I tried for a while to find a similar instrument in Scotland. Tommy advised me I'd need to go to France to have any real chance of picking one up, but I had a young family at the time, and I knew how much they cost! To this day I've never seen one in the UK, although to be fair I haven't been following the accordion scene for some years now.

There was an article about Tommy in a French accordion magazine about 30 years ago, and he became associated with Emile Decotty, Joss Baselli, Yvette Horner, and other big name French players during his playing days. Emile Decotty and Tony Fallone were also followers of the "americain" tuning, and are two more you may not have heard of. There were obviously many others, but the names no longer roll off the tip of the tongue.

A lot of players played with "americain" exclusively, and there were/are many different variations of it. Jo Privat latterly specified a bit more "vibration" in his tuning, after playing very dry for years, although he still sounded more "americain" than "musette". My own LMM instruments have the flutes tuned quite far apart, and are definitely not "americain".

My own take on "americain" is that it is perfect for the old fashioned Paris numbers, as well as the more modern styles. It can, however, all get a bit samey, even when played by an excellent player. Some Cavagnolo models can sound as though they are being "choked", especially if the player does not change couplers very often. I would love to get one, but promised my wife the four instruments I currently have will see me out.

Incidentally, Gilbert Roussel apparently specified his diapason as 446 Hz.

Just a quick note to say the Vedette 10 I went to view because I was curious, and the price was the most reasonable I have seen ( €1800)... perhaps an unpopular colour ( Ivory... or was it white with influence of Gitane smoke effect?) . The man had obviously paid his morgage by playing the beast in a dance band for 30 years as an evening extra job... so it owed him nothing ... but he still wanted more for it than its original purchase price. That's the bargan which comes with buying a really good instrument. Mind you there are currently a dozen Vedette 10's for sale here at various prices and none of then are shifting.

One upside from my visit with the Vedette man; he also played the Bandoneon and demonstrated his abilites with Tangos. I had a try too, nice sound but I ticked the Bandoneon off my list of desires... button spacings , needed reach, general width of the box... not for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back