• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

The greatest?

Pipemajor: Apparently a motorbike fan all his life; the working man's passport to freedom in the mid 20th century.
I had a pedal bike in the years before I was eligible for a motorbike licence and it reminds me of the clergyman who had lost his bike.
He said that it was when he was giving forth, from the pulpit, on 'thou shalt not commit adultery' that he remembered where he had left it.
an old gag but still a Good one !!!!

I think you're missing the British sense of humour here.
The references to "sailor " and "Bike" refer to the fact that they may have had affairs with other women in other districs and needed transport .
The motorbike would be needed to travel longer distances.
It is ofter said in jest that, if one finds a resemblance to someone else then "your father must have had a bike", the sailor had a girl in every port
I am not British.
Your father must have had a bike? I hqve never heard of that.

I am familiar with the joke about the postman/mailman.

I am not British.
Your father must have had a bike? I hqve never heard of that.

I am familiar with the joke about the postman/mailman.
Yes, that was the reason I felt the need to explain.
We were not demeaning Mr Jelarbo, just the fact that he looks like a famous Scottish accordionist, Sir Jimmy Shand led to the jokes about bikes, sailors and motorbikes. We also accuse postmen and also milkmen. If you look up "The fastest milkman in the West" on youtube, you will find one of our well known comedians , Bennie Hill. That will give you some idea :)

Back