• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Professional basketball's greatest accordionist

lmschgo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Tony Lavelli, an all-America basketball player at Yale University in the 1940's and a forward with the Boston Celtics and the Knicks, was equally adept at hook shots and halftime renditions on the accordion.

He was drafted in 1949 by the Boston Celtics. He had a clause in his contract that allowed him to entertain the crowd at halftime with his accordion, $125.00 per game, in addition to his $13,000 annual salary. Some basketball historians give Tony credit for saving the early Celtic franchise with his entertaining playing.

He studied music at Yale University and the Julliard School. Also recorded two albums.

Basketball can be injurious to one's fingers.
Many of my school friends who played basketball incurred dislocated finger joints and broken fingers: no joke!🤫
That could permanently affect your ability to play the accordion!🫤

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing . .reminded me. Very much of the playing style of Dick Contino and also Tony Lovello. .
What happened to Tony Lovelli

During the mid-1950s, Lavelli played with the College All-Stars, who primarily served as opponents to the Harlem Globtrotters, and his accordion performances became a fixture of the Globetrotters’ halftime shows. After basketball he was a songwriter and nightclub performer. Died 1998.

There is something quite awesome and really wholesome about a 1950s American sports hero who played a mean piano accordion - a Bell with 7 rows of basses, no less. Brilliant.

I can picture him now dropping dimes and making a big swish just before halftime, and then the accordion comes out...

I doubt any current stars or streetball hoopers play the accordion these days. They don't know what they're missing!

Last edited:
There is something quite awesome and really wholesome about a 1950s American sports hero who played a mean piano accordion - a Bell with 7 rows of basses, no less. Brilliant.

I can picture him now dropping dimes and making a big swish just before halftime, and then the accordion comes out...

I doubt any current stars or streetball hoopers play the accordion these days. They don't know what they're missing!
Sadly, I am too short to be an outstanding b-ball player, and too short on talent to be an outstanding accordion player.:)

Sadly, I am too short to be an outstanding b-ball player, and too short on talent to be an outstanding accordion player.:)
I can't get a piece of paper into the trash can. My talent (or, any talent that I might have) stops at the wrist.

Back