• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Stuck accordion button

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunshinexxx

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am trying to fix my accordions bass button Bflat.
took the bass machine out as it was easy-ish.
now I am trying to figure out what is the one that is responsible that made the B flat stuck. (Refer to the video please) I noticed that
1. there are quite a few some of the metal levers are not straight but bend
2. some of them are NOT, (not like most of the levers on the back and front,) on the same side of the horizontal stud.
I am assuming that second or both issues might be a problem to the stuck button.

In the video the Bflat button moves the first lever I am touching with my pen.
Hope this makes all sense.
I am missing playing my accordion but don't know how to proceed.
Thank you
:)

Last edited:
You have jumped a lever on one or two of the pistons. Your pistons have pins that depress the levers.
The levers should be on TOP OF THE PINS. Look for one or two of the levers that have jumped the pins and are now under the pins of their pistons.
This situation is caused by a blow to the bass machine or a bent piston (bent button) that allows the levers to jump off.

Hi JIM D. ,
tHANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR REPLY.

I MEANT TO SAY : '2. some of them are 'NOT', on the same side of the horizontal stud.' (edited it now).

There are about actually 4 levers that aren't on the top of the pins. Do you still mean for me to just find one or two since there are four or 5. All of the levers that I touch with the pen in the video are not on top.
Do you actually mean to put ALL of them on top? Someone who repairs accordions( in his shop, but he lives far away) replied that it is more complicated than that.
I just thought to start with the B flat button as that appeared to be stuck when pressing it down, BUT THEN WHEN MY BASS MACHINE WAS IN THE ACCORDION my buttons really didn't look all on the same level anymore. I really appreciate your input. Thanks again.

Yes set them all on top.
Ok , thank you Jim. I appreciate it. :)
May I ask if you would bend the levers back so they are straight? The metal pins/levers are bend, don't know if one can see this.
You said ;'''This situation is caused by a blow to the bass machine or a bent piston (bent button) that allows the levers to jump off.'
Would that be also the reason, that they are bend?
Thanks

Ok , thank you Jim. I appreciate it. :)
May I ask if you would bend the levers back so they are straight? The metal pins/levers are bend, don't know if one can see this.
You said ;'''This situation is caused by a blow to the bass machine or a bent piston (bent button) that allows the levers to jump off.'
Would that be also the reason, that they are bend?
Thanks
That would not the reason the levers are bent. Levers (catorcetti) get bent by an accordion repair person to fix problems with notes not starting immediately or with notes not starting simultaneously, or to ensure the lever does not jump off.

That would not the reason the levers are bent. Levers (catorcetti) get bent by an accordion repair person to fix problems with notes not starting immediately or with notes not starting simultaneously, or to ensure the lever does not jump off.
not sure if I understand what you mean. I am the repair person as there is no one else around in close distance.
I haven't bend anything, not yet anyway.
the rest I don't understand as I am still at beginner-intermediate level. :)
thank you for your input anyway. :)

Or maybe you mean I bought it that way(btw new), because someone did bend them before the purchase.
It's just really strange that the bent ones are the one that are on the wrong side of the pins.

the pipes (catrocetti) that are so called on the wrong side of the pins are correct. They are depressed by the internal pistons for the bass notes, not the chord notes.
Again if you look carefully YOU WILL find 1 or 2 pipes that have jumped over their pins on the pistons. Once found the pipe or pipes might need
to be bent gently sideways to sit properly on top of the pins on the piston.
I studied your pic's again and the pistons seem to be straight and in proper order.

Last edited:
Yes set them all on top.
Hi Jim D, with your last reply , I understand now that I should only look for 1 or two and not put all levers on top of the pin. Do you mean with the pipes the levers.? I am quite confused with the many words used. the pistons(that are attached to the buttons) are straight but not the levers.
Even with this bass terminology from the revival book , I am not sure based on your last reply (' YOU WILL find 1 or 2 pipes that have jumped over their pins on the pistons. ) if the cams or pipes are the levers or the bellcranks. with terminology underneath I would say the pipes are the bellcranks:
'Revival book : Bass terminology: The button is on the end of a piston which has pegs or tabs that engage levers on bellcranks (also called cams or pipes). When pushed by the peg on the side of a piston, a lever rotates the bellcrank to which it is mounted. The rotating bellcrank has another lever on it (the actual cam) which engages the lifting arm on the valve, opening the valve as the bellcrank rotates. Remedies marked with * require totally removing (and in most cases this means disassembling) the bass machine for access. '

Last edited:
It's the pipes that have slipped off the pistons pins and are now on top of the piston pins
The pipes have to be under the pins.
Sorry about my misprint - I meant to write - yes set them all under the pins.

Last edited:
Hi Jim, I appreciate it, :) could you confirm that you mean the levers when you say the pipes, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back