• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Stage fright?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All great advice, for myself I also found that building up my skills in playing by ear helped a lot. I had to do this deliberately as I was a dots player through and through, and I ended up getting into simple diatonic accordion playing to make it happen. It does mean that there is now a bit less to think about when going from the notes to the sound and also when things go wrong there is much more chance of finding my way back, keeping the rhythm going etc. It helps to have some landmarks that you know really well in a tune so if something goes wrong in the middle you can find your way to the next landmark and be safe. And finally, as people have already said, especially if you keep to the rhythm and the number of bars, the listeners are much less likely to care than you. I'm still rubbish and make far too many mistakes, but I get more of a fun performance along the way, and people like it more. Or they say they do...

I can agree with the no drinking bit - for me , once I got over the idea that I was up there to make them laugh (I used to do Ray Stevens kind of stuff) and that was all it was about , the nerves dissappeared, and if I screwed up, well it was just part of the act. After a while I used to look forward to doing it.The very act of performing gave it's own "high" without the need for anything else.

Now, performing in public with the PA....that is something yet to happen.....but , if some of the buskers I have seen around here are anything to go by , I'm in with a chance!
{}

Yep - you shouldn't let playin' get in the way of drinkin'... :ch

Actually when I started playing accordion and told about it my friends, they usually replied that for example their fathers band had an accordionist who was a drunkard. This happened to me more than once. The best part was when I told my mother I started to play accordion. She told me about her greatuncle who was an accordionist and more he drank, the more he played :ch Now I'm wondering what my mom thinks about me and my reasons to start playing... :lol: :ch

Have any of you practised any live-playing with pracitce-audition? For example relatives, friends etc?

Jonska said:
Have any of you practised any live-playing with practise-audition? For example relatives, friends etc?
I used to do that with piano playing but not so far with accordion.
Actually it is a very good idea. Even if the audience is you long suffering spouse and/or partner.
The act of trying to play he best you can with even a single person sitting listening (rather than pottering around the house) brings us close to the stage fright syndrome we all dread.

It's funny how just one person listening changes everything.

Not totally connected, but I was reminded of a quote, "If a man says something in a forest, and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?”

BobM.

The above is all wise stuff: I am an actor and know what stage fright feels like. Goldtopia has put what everyone is talking about into a nutshell. In my experience it never goes away permanently, but there are lots of ways to turn it to positive effect and even maybe beginning to learn to recognise the physical symptoms as pleasurable, and not painful. Many of the symptoms of fear are also recogniseable in sexual excitement, after all.

It is not exactly fear of being heard, it is the adrenalin rush caused by the sensation that our concentration has wandered away from what we are doing, and into what other people think of it We are diverting brain power into telling ourselves stories about what other people are thinking, instead of how WE assess how WE feel the MUSIC is going. This makes it much harder to play accurately because, however well you think you have learnt it, good playing requires concentration. This all happens at lightning speed, too fast for our brains to understand it at the time, which is why when we think back to it, we recognise the physical symptoms and call it fear.

We rationalise it as fear of humiliation, and, so that we can get our heads round it, build a picture of what we are afraid of, usually missing notes. And, because we are thinking of wrong notes, we play them. Or, because we are thinking 'blimey that went better than usual' we immediately spog up because the fingers are no longer getting accurate direction.

The key is that it is distraction from the act of playing by the novelty of having other people there. You may find that when you are practising, you tend to play more quietly, or pull your expressive punches if the family are in, or reserve the difficult pieces for when you have the house to yourself. Same thing...

There are two vitally necessary parts to the remedy.

One is, as said above, in practice PLOUGH ON. It's amazing how often a fluff becomes an ornament without trying, or the adjacent chord sounds (nearly) as good - actually you can make great discoveries that way. Of course you have to go back and grind the technically difficult passages into submission, but as a very good teacher put it to me recently, the worst habit in the world that you can teach yourself is to slow down or stop when you get to bits that have been a problem. Often they are the points where the music needs the greatest flow for effect so, she said, play the piece all the way through at the speed at which you can play the hard bits (very slow in my case) until the hard bits have become muscle memory. Then speeding up is just a matter of exercise. Pound out of yourself the habit of audibly or visibly reprimanding yourself for an error. Every ounce of mental energy you expend on that makes more errors inevitable. Not likely, inevitable. Major, successful actors, mashing their lines up (and they do) plough on. It's not because they don't care about making an error, it's because they care passionately about not making another one if they can possibly help it.

Second is to play with other people so often that it ceases to be a novelty. Practice when the family are in. Go to ensemble sessions (actually concentrating on making what you are playing meld in with other musicians counters 'stage fright' beautifully, because you are concentrating on the music, not making up mental pictures of other peoples' reactions). Moving on to paying solo is still a step, but if you expect to be petrified it will feel better than you expect. And it will force you to play at other people's tempi, which makes it easier not to berate yourself for every error. You will learn the self-preservation technique of blotting the audience out. Think always 'what is the music doing' (which we can do something about) and not 'do they like it?' which is completely and permanently out of our control. If they don't like it, that is their decision. One might try giving more reign to expression if you feel yourself start to sweat, or forgetting to breathe. Concentrate on what you can effect, and it will leave you no time or brain-space to bother with what we can't. One can get the most wonderful feeling of your fingers being slightly behind your brain suddenly, rather than the other way round. Some feel it as 'having got one over' on the listener: I know one player who calls this pulling the "soddem" lever, which is not an expression I like, but it gets him through.

We have, I suppose to live with it if we are going to perform at all, and to get our thrill from the music first, and leave the listener to get their thrill where they decide. I noticed at a recent gig by an internationally famous musician that one song he had written himself years ago, and which was very important to him had a very unusually wandery middle section, and his warm-up patter for the next number was accompanied by some very elaborate re-tuning. I began to wonder, and asked a mate who had played the same bill as him. 'Oh yes' came the reply, 'absolute martyr to nerves, though you'd never know it before the gig these days. He was probably just noodling around until he got his concentration back. He's much better than he was'. Only the performers in the audience had an inkling.

By the way, I have not found drink in any quantity constructive. It becomes a learned behaviour, one's physical tolerance to its effect increases over time, and from the moment that the first milligram is absorbed into your blood stream in blunts concentration, creating a further lurking doubt of being out of control, creating the symptoms of fear.....

Not quite the same thing, but even though as a hobby my band played 3 to 4 times every weekend for 40 years. The first song or two was always the hardest because I was nervous that people would not enjoy the music. Could bet hat you worried about the same thing, or that they are listening to every note. Just a sign that you are trying to do your best!

Wally G

Noisyfellows remarks about "ploughing on" are so very true.

I see this on an almost daily basis at the moment.

I am stagehand with a small local Am-Dram group in Torquay(TOADS) and,right now the show running (12 nights) is a spoof Agatha Christie style thing (Death by Fatal Murder).On the (few ) occasions that lines have been fluffed , the ensueing ploughing on has just got more laughs....and the audience don't know there has been a cock-up....they think it's all part of the act.

What Wally G says about the first number - ties in with my feelings , as I said before, once I got the first laugh I was away.

dunlustin said:
Talk about the Lions Den!

Id be getting Vertiginousagoraphobicmisanthropicsausagefingeredgetmeoofofhereitis.......first....then stage fright.............

.....and stage fright ....hmmmm, whos frightened of the stage .....its just an elevated floor.....its the bloody audience that terrify me !! :b

:hb

I've only been playing accordion for the last two outings of my maypole group and find I can always fall back to just bass accompaniment if the treble goes tits up, but it feels so embarrassing when the tune you've botched is something simple like Donkey Riding. I have to concentrate twice as hard as normal to keep my mind on the task at hand if I'm aware there are people around actually paying attention, but it's not so bad if I can get into the 'I'm just background noise, no-one's looking' headspace.

I've done my fair share of live performances over the years from playing for maypole dancing to large stage affairs, the nerves definitely get easier (even up to the point of being so relaxed that your mind wanders or completely switches off).

I played in a Irish pub band for years and people really listened which could be uncomfortable, these days I play for dancing and I just tell myself that others aren’t really listening, instead they are concentrating on what they or others are doing.

Without doubt, the most stressful was playing several numbers with a 70's tribute band on stage to 500 people, I remember before the gig pacing up and down backstage with massive butterflies, but all went well and I survived.

The more you do the easier it gets and the easier it is to cover mistakes without anyone noticing.

And as Pete Shutler from the Yetties once said to me "sod the gardening and bu**er the decorating, just practice" :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back