• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Songbook+, Roland FR4x and IPad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very impressive! For live performers, this is a big time saver!

Now let's let imagination go one step further and ask... can it configure a Roland BK-7m at the same time? If yes, being able to just chose a song and the rhythm, tempo, initial instruments, your V-Accordion settings all get activated from the selection of a song on an iPad... that would be almost a must-have for any live performer of this genre!!

JerryPH post_id=48382 time=1499483138 user_id=1475 said:

Now lets let imagination go one step further and ask... can it configure a Roland BK-7m at the same time? If yes, being able to just chose a song and the rhythm, tempo, initial instruments, your V-Accordion settings all get activated from the selection of a song on an iPad... that would be almost a must-have for any live performer of this genre!!

Yes, I just tried it with my Korg PA3x. Select the song on the iPad, it changed them both! You need another ud-bt01 plugged in the arranger. In my case, I just had a spare mi.1 which I plugged into the Korg. I do not have a BK7m, Korg has Songbook with numbers. I think BK7m has performance numbers you can set up? Correct me if I am wrong.

BK7m instruction
https://baumsoftware.freshdesk.com/solution/articles/17000049698/en

Keymn post_id=48381 time=1499480947 user_id=2286 said:
There has been an interest in controlling the Fr4x with Songbook+ app.
Check out the link below on instruction. I have tried it and it works!
Select a song on the iPad app, the accordion set or user program changes.

https://baumsoftware.freshdesk.com/en/support/solutions/articles/17000051000
Great info. I tried Set List Maker in my IOS device with the 4x. It works well, too. I used a USB cable because dont have the Yamaha UD-BT01. Yamaha has not written a Windows driver for the UD-BT01, and Ive been waiting for Korg or anyone else to come out with one. All Bluetooth midi devices by Korg support Windows through their Bluetooth driver. I have to use a Bluetooth MIDI receiver to use the UD-BT01 on Windows.

How did you mount the UD-BT01 on your FR4x?

torch post_id=48408 time=1499538449 user_id=421 said:
Keymn post_id=48381 time=1499480947 user_id=2286 said:
There has been an interest in controlling the Fr4x with Songbook+ app.
Check out the link below on instruction. I have tried it and it works!
Select a song on the iPad app, the accordion set or user program changes.

Great info. I tried Set List Maker in my IOS device with the 4x. It works well, too. I used a USB cable because dont have the Yamaha UD-BT01. Yamaha has not written a Windows driver for the UD-BT01, and Ive been waiting for Korg or anyone else to come out with one. All Bluetooth midi devices by Korg support Windows through their Bluetooth driver. I have to use a Bluetooth MIDI receiver to use the UD-BT01 on Windows.

How did you mount the UD-BT01 on your FR4x?

The UD-bt-01 is plugged into an outlet as illustrated in the link. Wireless would require a short USB cable, maybe 3 which is hard to find. A USB battery. All very small but need some more research on the mounting. What is really clean is Quicco Mi.1 plugged into midi in/out of the FR8X. Yamaha has the similar, md-bt01.

It would be interesting to ask if those new Roland pianos with built in Bluetooth can do the same function as the UD-BT01?

The reason I bought a Korg was because of the Songbook+ App which already had instructions to connect. It is easier to set up, all you need is to insert a decimal Songbook number in the code box. No need to use those midi bank wheels.

If you plug the UD-bt-01 in an AC outlet, you might as well use a USB cable, but if you are going to go totally wireless you can use a USB battery pack as you mentioned.

6 inch USB cable
https://www.amazon.com/YCS-Basics-B...d=1499554716&sr=1-21&keywords=6inch+usb+cable

USB Battery Pack
https://www.amazon.com/SINOELE-Port...24&sr=1-6&keywords=mini+usb+battery+pack&th=1

Look how this person mounted the UD-BT-01 on his MIDI device. The pic is at the bottom of the page.
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=263&t=482020

I would mount the whole thing near the LCD screen. You can run a USB cable behind the backpad. In my case, I would reserve the only Din MIDI on the 4x for doing pitch bend, Rotary Slow/Fast, Break, and etc from a midi foot controller. If you are driving an an external module or an arranger, midi can be routed through the the IOS device while you are changing sets and UPGs from your SongBook+. My, thats a lot of ins and outs. I noticed that the midi foot controller messages sent to the FR4x also go out and do the same in the attached external module. Thats kind of nice. As for Roland, there is only one lower end keyboard besides their digital piano that is equipped with Bluetooth midi. Not a big deal. The Yamaha UD-bt-01 will give the function,.

Like that battery pack recommendation for the USB.
I too need my midi port for midijet or midi cable to control arranger.

Looking at the Beat Buddy
https://singularsound.com/
It has midi in/out for Mi.1 or the Md-bt01 for remote drum beat selection like an arranger. I think this can be programmed for songbook+ to change rhythms and tempo.
This pedal maybe all we need for dance hall performances. Do we need more?

Keymn post_id=48430 time=1499584901 user_id=2286 said:
I dont know... I thought I was all set with a FR-8X and a BK-7m... and now look! :lol:

JerryPH post_id=48441 time=1499604144 user_id=1475 said:
I dont know... I thought I was all set with a FR-8X and a BK-7m... and now look! :lol:

You are all set! I am trying to cut down my luggage and eliminate the need to lug my Korg around.
But it is interesting how different music hardware manufacturers tend to cater to IPad users.

(Just a note on my comment on controlling both the BK-7m in unison with accordion bank change. It may not work.
The reason it works for me is because the Korg has Songbook numbers, in Songbook+ you insert the song number in the code box. Then set the midi wheels on that song to control the accordion Bank, program, set changes). Here is the Korg manual.
http://www.korg.com/download/global/paseries/tutorials/Using_SongBook_plus_for_iPad.pdf

Like that battery pack recommendation for the USB.
I too need my midi port for midijet or midi cable to control arranger.

Looking at the Beat Buddy
https://singularsound.com/
It has midi in/out for Mi.1 or the Md-bt01 for remote drum beat selection like an arranger. I think this can be programmed for songbook+ to change rhythms and tempo.
As long as your IOS device is connected to the 4x through the Yamaha USB Bluetooth, midi out can be routed from the IOS to your BK7m or any other midi module by using a MIDI interface. A $5.00 USB midi interface will do it. This is not the only way, but I am saying we do have this option.

Yes, I have seen the Beat Buddy before.

Thanks for the info...
I do not have a BK7m, received this info on Bank prg changes on VAccordion and arranger by selecting a song on Songbook+ app.

'To control the BK-7m at the same time, you will need to configure additional BankSelectMSB+BankSelectLSB+ProgramChange but on another MIDI channel and the BK-7m should then listen on that other MIDI channel. (SongBook sends the configured MIDI commands to all connected MIDI devices.)
To add these additional BankSelectMSB+BankSelectLSB+ProgramChange commands press the button "Actions on Open" and then add the midi commands with the plus button. There is no specific BankSelect command, but since BankSelect MSB is a ControlChange 0 and BankSelect LSB is a ControlChange 32 you can use the "MIDI control change" command for that. In "Actions on Open" you can individually select a MIDI channel for each MIDI command.'

JerryPH post_id=48382 time=1499483138 user_id=1475 said:

Now lets let imagination go one step further and ask... can it configure a Roland BK-7m at the same time? If yes, being able to just chose a song and the rhythm, tempo, initial instruments, your V-Accordion settings all get activated from the selection of a song on an iPad... that would be almost a must-have for any live performer of this genre!!

Baum software added additional information on what you imagined. I do not own a BK7m.
Songbook plus I believe is free to try, limited to 15 songs, I think?

Wow, pretty amazing. Well, this is going to have to be yet another project to add in the future.

Thanks for posting, this is just incredible!

JerryPH post_id=48663 time=1500133811 user_id=1475 said:
Wow, pretty amazing. Well, this is going to have to be yet another project to add in the future.

Thanks for posting, this is just incredible!

I do not think I need this on my FR4x, only 98 programs. But 1400 on FR8X! Hard to remember? Probably more important on BK7m. Imagine, never have to touch or look at BK7m! Songbook+ does it for you.
There is nothing wrong with sheet music books. But in the past 3-4 years I accumulated 2600 songs in IPad! Hours, hours, hours! I do not play many regularly, but handy if request. Keep me posted if anyone tried this application on both units. Thanks for your input.

Keymn post_id=48667 time=1500142485 user_id=2286 said:
I do not think I need this on my FR4x, only 98 programs. But 1400 on FR8X! Hard to remember? Probably more important on BK7m. Imagine, never have to touch or look at BK7m! Songbook+ does it for you.
... and add 1400 at a time as many times over as you want on a USB stick, that number becomes practically unlimited, which is ridiculous... lol

What that does permit is not programming for groups of sings, but creating custom programming on a per song basis, making each song unique and making hearing the same sounds out of a V-Accordion over the course of an evening near impossible, should one wish to.

There is nothing wrong with sheet music books. But in the past 3-4 years I accumulated 2600 songs in IPad! Hours, hours, hours! I do not play many regularly, but handy if request. Keep me posted if anyone tried this application on both units.

I can acknowledge that digital media is the way of the future. The days of carrying heavy binders/books of music that deteriorate or fade over the years is gone, and it is a lot easier on the ecology too. iPads are reliable enough to make it a very viable technology. I have an old iPad (1 or 2, cannot even recall), that I bought new about 10 or more years ago, and it still works very well today, even the 12 hour rated battery is good for 11+ hours after all this time. Id really prefer a larger iPad Pro 2 for this application because it is a lot easier to read (almost normal full page size) and it has a greater storage capacity.

Its in the works. :)

Keep me posted if anyone tried this application on both units...
Yes please. If anyone does this sooner than I do, please post it right here, Id appreciate hearing/seeing it in action.

JerryPH post_id=48668 time=1500144683 user_id=1475 said:
... and add 1400 at a time as many times over as you want on a USB stick, that number becomes practically unlimited, which is ridiculous... lol

What that does permit is not programming for groups of sings, but creating custom programming on a per song basis, making each song unique and making hearing the same sounds out of a V-Accordion over the course of an evening near impossible, should one wish to.

There is nothing wrong with sheet music books. But in the past 3-4 years I accumulated 2600 songs in IPad! Hours, hours, hours! I do not play many regularly, but handy if request. Keep me posted if anyone tried this application on both units.

I can acknowledge that digital media is the way of the future. The days of carrying heavy binders/books of music that deteriorate or fade over the years is gone, and it is a lot easier on the ecology too. iPads are reliable enough to make it a very viable technology. I have an old iPad (1 or 2, cannot even recall), that I bought new about 10 or more years ago, and it still works very well today, even the 12 hour rated battery is good for 11+ hours after all this time. Id really prefer a larger iPad Pro 2 for this application because it is a lot easier to read (almost normal full page size) and it has a greater storage capacity.

Its in the works. :)

Keep me posted if anyone tried this application on both units...
Yes please. If anyone does this sooner than I do, please post it right here, Id appreciate hearing/seeing it in action.

Another item to add to Songbook+, ----after you open song, have the ability to move the registers up and down on the accordion using a Bluetooth pedal. I will ask them if this is possible? Irig Blueboard may be good for this, couple buttons programmed to do this...other buttons (which now is possible), turn page, next song, etc.

Keymn post_id=48675 time=1500177145 user_id=2286 said:
Another item to add to Songbook+, ----after you open song, have the ability to move the registers up and down on the accordion using a Bluetooth pedal. I will ask them if this is possible? Irig Blueboard may be good for this, couple buttons programmed to do this...other buttons (which now is possible), turn page, next song, etc.
I agree, you should contact the company and ask... and good thinking!

JerryPH post_id=48680 time=1500212105 user_id=1475 said:

No luck on this, can not find anything on accepting Bank up/down control messages.

Keymn post_id=48762 time=1500416371 user_id=2286 said:
JerryPH post_id=48680 time=1500212105 user_id=1475 said:

No luck on this, can not find anything on accepting Bank up/down control messages.
Jerry, can this Be programmed on the chin switch on your FR8X? Register up/down,...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back