• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Some high quality Bach

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgavrilov

Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRvEyJjmNMs
I came upon this video by Vincent van Amsterdam and was immediately impressed by the quaity of the sound and of course from his rendition. I am trying to deduce what are the audio settings used here, apart from the micophones and the room being obviousy suitable. What do you think is made in the DAW?

the TV show 'Vrije Geluiden' takes care of the whole production

this is Dutch national TV, not something he does himself

In addition to being one of the instruments most difficult to perform, it is also one of the most challenging to record. The primary problem is the loss of resonance, in other words, a significant part of what the player feels with the instrument held against their chest and in their lap is lost and not picked up fully by the recording apparatus. I have observed in several professional recordings the use of electronic reverberation and enhanced filtering to boost the "sound" of the instrument.

fphlpsnrg said:
In addition to being one of the instruments most difficult to perform, it is also one of the most challenging to record. The primary problem is the loss of resonance, in other words, a significant part of what the player feels with the instrument held against their chest and in their lap is lost and not picked up fully by the recording apparatus. I have observed in several professional recordings the use of electronic reverberation and enhanced filtering to boost the "sound" of the instrument.

Rest assured they apply all of that filtering and reverb in this recording. The studio is designed to be mostly "dead" regarding sound.
But apart from this TV program having great recording facilities most of great sound comes from Vincent's artistic qualities and from his high-end (relatively) new Bugari accordion, tuned to 442Hz, which is what most young professionals use nowadays. (His older Bugari, a 289/ARC/C4 I believe, was tuned 440Hz and as far as I know he still has that as sometimes he also needs 440Hz. It's a sad situation that a true professional now needs two accordions, one 440 and one 442...)
(Sadly it seems a D is already a bit out of tune on his new Bugari...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back