• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

High Quality smaller accordion?

jlavadoc

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum. I'm an intermediate player with a beautiful full size accordion that has become too heavy for me. My current accordion is a Beltuna Leader V that I picked up the other day (I should say, tried to pick up) and realize at 29 pounds and at 73 years old, I need to find a smaller instrument. There are some accordions that are smaller that may come closer to the quality of my Beltuna. Hand made reeds and a tone chamber are 2 features that I think would be welcome, but I need to keep the weight down. Petosa makes a 17 pound accordion that may fill the bill, but I'd like some opinions from some experienced players. I live in Chicago. Thanks.

since you mentioned petosa, i will assume money is no object

reason is, my thought is that Beltuna would perhaps like a chance to
keep a customer.. i wonder if you write a nice letter to the company
explaining your problem, then ask THEM for a solution ?

i wonder if they would find a way to solve your problem and arrange
your trade in with whomever is their dealer nearest you ?

i dunno.. i am thinking like a music store Retailer who would have
a stake in keeping their customer base loyal.. but modern times
have blurred the lines between dealer and manufacturer somewhat..
so maybe it would be worth a try

i also assume you have loved your Beltuna

When I was in Castelfidardo I tried a Victoria "Piuma". Outstanding quality and very light. They claim 9.4kg but you should consider that all accordion manufacturers are "creative" in weighing their instruments, so the reality is probably 10kg (including straps, which of course you need).
They even have a 47-key version at 9.8kg (likely 10.5 by the time you weigh it).
More manufacturers go for very lightweight full-size 4 voice (and double cassotto) accordions. You should handle them with care because they are much more prone to damage when you bump them or have any other type of mishap.
Note that in the title of your post you said "smaller" but from the message it is clear you meant "lighter", not really smaller. The Beltuna Leader V is an outstanding accordion and has the size of many 4 voice (double cassotti) 41/120 accordions whereas it is a 5 voice accordion. Going smaller and lighter is easy enough by going 3 voice and/or losing the cassotto.

Last edited:
@jlavadoc Welcome! Glad you’re here. It sounds like you have some accordion experience, knowledge, enthusiasm, and expertise. Certainly hope you will be comfortable sharing among the threads and posts here.

Regarding this post…while I don’t claim at all to be an experienced player, I hope you don’t mind my couple thoughts. I have read this to be a challenge and life experience elsewhere and am certainly interested in tips as I continue to get older. This forum seems like the ideal suited community to support along with local accordion clubs.
In addition to the wonderful recommendations and insights already mentioned, I would wonder anyone here might be someone or know someone who might consider discussion of an accordion trade so that an accordionist can continue with the love and passion of accordion playing. I am certainly happy to discuss it myself though my accordions are not of the quality, class, reputation, and price range that would to me be a fair trade. But nonetheless, @jlavadoc feel free to private message if you’d like to discuss further.

I want to thank everybody for their very helpful comments. As was suggested, I did email Beltuna and got an immediate response with the suggestion that I contact Liberty Bellows, which I did. They offered a trade plus cash for a used Scandalli Air II LMMH 34 96 at 21 pounds (8.9kg). I'm a little embarrassed by their low offer for my Beltuna but truth be told, they're not far off other offers for sale or trade. They take care of shipping and offer a 1 week trial. I am hoping this is a satisfactory trade but I don't have any illusions that this Scandalli will match the Beltuna. But if I can't lift it, I can't play it. So, I'm going to give the Scandalli a try, with the expectation that this will be just fine. The other accordions I considered where the Petosa Little pro XT (17 lbs ) and the new Beltuna Play III LMM 34 72. My guess is that the Scandalli will have a more satisfying sound with the a double tone chamber, even though weighing 3 pounds more that the others considered. I should receive the Scandalli in a few days and will post on the progress of my search for a smaller accordion.

Back