• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

So yeah, 33,000 views in 2 days....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
.....or why the accordion is popular in some countries but not others.

Very nice, Tom!?
Also from South America (Treze Tilias, Brazil):

Last edited:
ticks all the boxes of the algorithm:
- girls
- matching content to audience
- older channel maintaining fresh content

ticks all the boxes of the algorithm:
- girls
- matching content to audience
- older channel maintaining fresh content
Exactly!
I am always happy if I manage 100 views in one or two days for a new recording.
But then I'm a boring old guy, not worth looking at (so I don't do video), and for just listening I know that YouTube is not the most appropriate channel but it is the most popular...
Soon YouTube will start putting ads into every video... so I need to start looking for an alternative. Any suggestions?

Alternatives are:
- Vimeo
- Instagram/Facebook

this won't help you get audience as an old guy though...

you would need to build a focus story around yourself as an artist: like "awww, look at what this cute old man can still do at his age" - or the "wise old man gives life lessons through accordion playing"

It's not the age or the allure of these people, it's that they are Obviously Having Fun. They are Smiling, Laughing, Communicating, there is infectuous energy in the music. Sure, they are attractive young women, and that definitely helps, but I have seen plenty of men with the same Energy (Dorgival Dantes, for a quick example). They make you feel Part of the Fun!

I hate to repeat myself, but too many performers substitute Virtuosity for Fun. Jocéli has both in spades!

Paul, watch your videos. Are you smiling, laughing, maintaining eye contact with your fellow musicians and audience, putting energy and joy into the music? This is what gets the likes, regardless of platform.

Last edited:
Thanks Dingo, Bia Socek is another great representative of the genre. Whether on a skateboard, on a bull, in period costume, she always has a big Smile and great Energy.

To continue this Rant! (Almost as good as electric versus acoustic ?)

Ok. Jim D. or Ventura can correct me if I am wrong. Back in the Golden Days, the teachers did not know how to teach Performance, Audience Appreciation. The money was in selling ever more complex arrangements and bigger, sexier accordions, "You, little Johnny, Need 120 basses, double casotto and 5 treble voices if you are ever going to Play this new Frosini."

Luckily, there were a few performers who got it. You may not have liked Lawrence Welk (and I didn't), but you know he got 3 million viewers with his Smile, his Fun, his audience understanding and appreciation. Same goes for Contino and Yankovic, etc. This is why Keyman and JerryPH are so successful.

But no one was playing to young people.. While the accordionists were working on Frosini and Diero, along came the Beatles with Yeah, Yeah, Yeah. And they were a Riot, Funner than Heck.

I took this to heart. I am no pro, in fact my skills are kind of weak. But I learned audience appreciation and became the darling musician of a small set in my own town. Not to brag, but to point it out. Then covid hit....

Last edited:
Tom,
"Are you smiling, laughing, maintaining eye contact with your fellow musicians and audience, putting energy and joy into the music? This is what gets the likes, regardless of platform."
If you see a selection of Carlinhos Jakob Steiner clips (sample above), you will see he too adheres to this formula: that's what makes him appealing to the public (1m hits on the above clip)?
I recall, my teacher had organised a "Christmas concert " by her students to be attended by their nearest and dearest.
I was so confident of my piece I didn't even bring my music,
Sure enough, got on stage and lost it!?
Luckily, I kept up an ad lib patter of self deprecatory commentary as I struggled to find the melody.
Although I was a dud as a musician, the audience identified me as a stand up comic à la Victor Borge , with sympathetic laughter throughout my "performance ", and I got the loudest applause for the night!?

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom
there is also, perhaps, a conflict between traditions too

MOney based Music Industry people on the unsmiling side

street traditions in Spain ( that still resulted in Profits and world
tours for the Gypsy Kings and others ) and similar in other parts of
the world that put the cameraderie and the duty of Musicians to
share, mix, provide the "lubricant" for the non-musical people gatherings
above mere monetary considerations and therefore exuding happiness
(and a desire to be fed for free)

even in the USA the late night speakeasies and Tuxedo Junctions where
the likes of Buddy Rich and Mel Torme would just show up out of the blue
and mix their talents with local musicians of all colors and backgrounds

and as i said before, at least a few people were challenging the beatles
and trying to give the Accordion a fighting chance to stay relevant...

Faithe Deffner created the TIGER entirely out of her force of will and her own money
and immense desire for the Accordion and the youth of the time

Chicago Music essentially did an end run AROUND the entrenched Accordion industry
of Europe to bring the Cordovox to market... when my band practiced i had it
strapped on, when we played the local High School gym dance parties, it sat
butt down on a folding chair i brought, and i played it "Vox Organ" style with one hand
while my other hand held my SM58 so i could sing G L O R I A

it was too bad we lost that battle, and barely survived the war, but here we are...

if Charlie Byrd had not traveled and shared his love of Jobim and Gilberto would
the western World have ever given Walter Wanderly or Sergio Mendes a chance ?

if not for Paul Simon and his penchant for getting down and dirty wherever he travelled,
would we have ever heard of Ladysmith ? ( and RIP Josef Shabalala... we will miss you )

much of the best music comes out of Love and Happiness and sharing it

Reactions: Tom
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back