• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

SILENT NIGHT - Group participation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryPH

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, this is your chance for world-wide fame and unlimited fortune... uhhmm, well, ok, maybe not all that much fame and most certainly no fortune, but this is a great chance for a lot of fun and a wonderful way to get in to the Christmas spirit here on our favorite accordion forum! :D

All you do is record your rendition of Silent Night, and post it here for all to enjoy. It can be a music file shared somewhere, a video you upload to YouTube, Video or whatever medium you like.

There is only one rule... have fun! {}

Ok ladies and gents, have at it, bring us YOUR version of Silent Night! :ch

Good call Jerry...be really nice to see/hear forum members interpretations of a well known melody...
Be lovely to put styles to names and open our minds a little to others perspectives rather than just 'talk' about subjects...
Let the festivities begin....let's use this seasons spirit to share a little about ourselves...
Will endeavour to post before Christmas eve...
Best wishes and peace to all...

I've had a word with best beloved and we'll have a go at posting a duet. Who knows it might even be average!

hais1273 post_id=53298 time=1512988179 user_id=1042 said:
Ive had a word with best beloved and well have a go at posting a duet. Who knows it might even be average!

same here, well give it a try :tup: will probably be in Dutch tho

Here is a version on a physical accordion. I decided to thwart the red hot bass button faction and went quite plain. Once just the melody on single reed, once double reed. I dont think the bass is overpowering the treble in spite of a lack of tremolo, and its quite solid.
<YOUTUBE id=Cl6NAdA3www url=>[media]</YOUTUBE>

Wow....what a wonderful tone you have there Geronimo
And prove that "Less is More"
Great start to the thread....

That is lovely. Simple fits the tune, and I like the droned bass.

I'm trying to work up the courage to record my attempts - it always goes really well till I switch on the recording device! It's like an evil little audience that makes me very self-conscious ;)

I know what you mean, I am often the same way. Actually, I have tried to record the last couple days and something always gets in the way. First for some reason, the camera decided it wanted to mysteriously go out of focus for no reason, then one battery died on me, then the phone kept ringing and on and on. Last night I was shovelling the driveway for 2 hours from our little snow storm we got.

I'll try again tonight and see what happens. All I need is 15 minutes and a little luck, it should not be this hard... lol.

By the way, GREAT job Geronimo and thanks for your bravery at being the first to post and setting a high standard for us all to aspire for!

Anyanka post_id=53355 time=1513158613 user_id=74 said:
it always goes really well till I switch on the recording device! Its like an evil little audience that makes me very self-conscious ;)
Ah, there is a trick to that. Dont switch it on. Leave it running. Dont stop when you think you have a good take. Set yourself a certain amount of time and fill that with playing. Consider it practising. Make sure batteries and media last that long. Have pen and pencil for writing down the times of good takes.

Sometimes there will be a good take. Sometimes there wont (I thought this wasnt all that important so I just put it up in spite of inconsistent articulation and blunders. Also its not like I practiced this any serious amount of time). There is always another time. Fudging together different takes is tricky (I did it between stanzas because Im lazy): more often than not another take while you are still set up is less time intensive.

If I were taking this seriously Id have to continue making takes until there is one with a tolerable facial expression. But it would likely take years until I manage that.

Geronimo post_id=53364 time=1513165805 user_id=2623 said:
Ah, there is a trick to that. Dont switch it on. Leave it running. Dont stop when you think you have a good take. Set yourself a certain amount of time and fill that with playing.

That is very good advice. Thanks! :ch

Good point about leaving it running.... I kept switching mine on and off earlier, and when I finally played it really well with very few mistakes.... found that I HADN'T switched it on that time. Will try again tomorrow...

Anyanka post_id=53378 time=1513190265 user_id=74 said:
Good point about leaving it running.... I kept switching mine on and off earlier, and when I finally played it really well with very few mistakes.... found that I HADNT switched it on that time.
Not having it switched on for a whole 1-hour session may be aggravating at a larger scale. But at least you get an hour of practice that way...

Here is our rendition, sorry no video. A little sloppy but my first melody on a melodeon! :b

- Judith lead (Dutch) and ukelele
- my boss Esther alt vocal (German)
- my Hohner Preciosa, a little flat, but what do you expect it's 80 years old
- myself humming
- YDP-141 elec.piano

{}

Attachments

• stillenacht.mp3
    794.7 KB · Views: 64
JerryPH post_id=53430 time=1513305180 user_id=1475 said:
OK, my turn, I suppose. :)

Geronimo post_id=53336 time=1513111549 user_id=2623 said:
Here is a version on a physical accordion.

nice guys :!:

I was thinking next year we should pick a fixed BPM and key so we can stitch everybody together to make one grand finale piece {}

jozz post_id=53427 time=1513293444 user_id=2600 said:
Here is our rendition, sorry no video. A little sloppy but my first melody on a melodeon! :b

{}

I cant hear anything :( is it made on a Mac? My PC cant deal with Mac MP3s.

Right. Heres mine. Its peppered with hesitation, because Im not a natural solo performer on the accordion, but I think this is as good as its going to get! Not the best sound quality either, as I use a little elderly Sony recorder thats not really designed for music.... but as a bonus, you get the happy accident of a sleigh bell sound in the background at 2:05 (one of my hounds shaking their head & rattling the collar tag in the background :) )

(P.S. Strangely, I do play a range of carols happily and confidently on my bagpipes, solo - not this one, unfortunately, because of the out-of-range high note - nothing says SILENCE like a bagpipe....)

<SOUNDCLOUD id= url=></SOUNDCLOUD>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back