• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Sad / Aeolian / Phrygian Folk Songs

melasonos

Reaction score
I seem to be able to find a lot of happy songs in major. I was wondering if anyone could give me a few names of hopefully some traditional Russian or Belarusian songs in a "sadder" key?

Thanks!

"the Williow tree". Russia folk Song. i have v gridins sheets. high level of difficulty i am afraid. there are many simplier versions i am sure. v gridins version is on y tube a slow melodic piece of ultimate complexity as yhe piece developes. a masterpiece!

The song is "On the path"
As far as I can tell, it is a popular love song by a known author ( not folk as such)
Sorry to say, like many other examples, it doesn't translate well into English. Pity.
Evocative melody.

The song is "On the path"
As far as I can tell, it is a popular love song by a known author ( not folk as such)
Sorry to say, like many other examples, it doesn't translate well into English. Pity.
Evocative melody.
Yes, from what I gather, it's about a woman who was cheated on and is struggling remembering her time with the man...bitter-sweet kinf of story.

@godgi Thank you for introducing me to Gridin! Amazing pieces he writes!

I used to love to get groups of people at gatherings to sing a round of Row, Row, Row Your Boat in a minor key. It sounds like a dirge you'd hear on the River Styx. Playing both banjo and accordion? That's pretty impressive.

I saw this when it came out in 02, and has remained highly inspirational for me, on many levels. As an aside, my career often involved folk with SDMI - I've had opportunity to play accordions with them.

I should say, it's a rather remarkable film, and fyi deals with violent subjects. No sexual content however, save for this scene where the two civilians portrayed are dear friends, and the sudden objectification is evoked by the insanity around him.

Last edited:
Back