• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Roland Wireless USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

pentaprism

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Has any one tried Roland Wireless USB with FR-1xB or FR-1x:

WNA1100-RL Wireless USB Adapter

Amazon has it for about $50:

Roland Wireless Connect Wireless USB Adapter

Apparently it is made by NetGear. Note the Roland model number WNA1100RL vs NetGear model number WNA1100. I wonder if the NetGear version at less than 1/2 of the cost will work:

Netgear WNA1100 IEEE 802.11n USB Wi-Fi Adapter

Roland firmware update version 1.05 is requires for wireless USB support:

Roland Download Page

From the file accompanying 1.05 update:

[Ver.1.05 ]
[Functionality Improvements]
● Roland Wireless Connect compatibility.
● Please refer to the About the Wireless LAN Function (FR-1x_e2_Wireless_W.pdf) for detailed information.
[Bug Fix]
The following bug is fixed.
● Corrected wrong recall of Reverb/Chorus macro at Set change.

The file mentioned FR-1x_e2_Wireless_W.pdf is nowhere to be found!

Any info is appreciated.

Don't you hate it when you answer your own post! :roll:

OK. So I'm brave (and cheap ;) ). Instead of the Roland version at $50, I bought the Netgear version for less than half the price.

The verdict: it works very well as intended. Note that the key is "as intended," no more, no less. Even the "ad hoc" connection (without a wireless router) works fine.

I can use Air Recorder on iPad 2 to record the sound from the FR-1xb, and can play back the recorded file (or any .wav or .mp3 file) from the iPad 2 to the FR-1xb's speakers.

Without the wireless setup, the FR-1xb can record to/play from a USB memory stick. I'm not sure the wireless setup is a huge improvement over the existing capability.

One thing that is (I think) easy to do, but currently not supported: while recording (or instead of recording), the iPad sends output to its own speaker, or to be exact, to its headphone port. This way, the setup can be used as a wireless mic. That would be a huge improvement.

Yep - that bit about answering you own post: I was going to ask if it will work with the earlier models... then I realised they didn't have a USB connection.. :roll:
PS Thnks for the update - I guess we didn't know the answer... but now we do!

Do you have any opinions on the quality of the sound recording?
Is it simply a 16 bit stereo or is it comoressed to death to ensure safe transmission?
Just curious.

Other than "the quality is decent," I can't say much.

My main purpose was to see if the setup could be used as a wireless mic (the iPad would then feed my home stereo system). But after I found out that it couldn't be done, I put it aside, never paying attention to the quality.

The quality of the .wav files produced is excellent, as attested by a recording expert

I know this thread is really old but searching the topic is how I found this website in the first place. I was looking on Amazon for this gadget. I can accept that it runs about $50, but $24.99 for shipping!! It's such a small little thing. Even if it comes from Hong Kong, I wouldn't expect shipping to be so dear.

Look in places like Aliexpress, they likely have it for less and shipping from Hong Kong or China is almost always free. I've bought $7 items and shipping was still free!

StacieKeenan said:
I was looking on Amazon for this gadget. I can accept that it runs about $50, but $24.99 for shipping!! Its such a small little thing. Even if it comes from Hong Kong, I wouldnt expect shipping to be so dear.
Youre talking about the Netgear WNA1100 N150? Where did you see $50 with $24.99 shipping?

Attachments

• Amazon.jpg
    Amazon.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 1,591
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back