• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Roland sound settings and combinations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Butcher

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm being a bit lazy here.

Rolands give you a lot of options to tweak the sounds and combine right and left hand sounds. But like with most electronic instruments you have to put a bit of effort in to explore these things.

OR you could rely on others to come up with the good ideas for you.

Any tips on good sound tweaks / combos? Any good links to hear what you have done with the sounds? Thanks, Matt.

Personally I have not really done much with my FR-3x, I am still struggling to get used to the bellows.
However Richard Noel is a great resource for customization and has some sets that he sells for the FR-7x, FR-3x, and FR-1x

His youtube channel is at:

https://www.youtube.com/user/bakersfieldaccordion

I had an FR3S which I sold because of the stiff bellows. I really liked the orchestral instrument choices, but it was such a struggle with the bellows, even with what they call curve adjustment which leaks in more air to the bellows but makes no difference to volume . Many have complained about this. Now after so long listening to complaints, Roland have decided to listen and do something about it, so they say. They have let us down so many times with various models with the same bellows problem. Its their new Roland FR8, but seeing (or hearing) is believing and it cost about £4,000 depending where you shop. So try before you buy and complain if its not true.

Personally I have no difficulty with the bellows in either of my Rolands.
It is generally agreed that the instrument should be set at full volume - default in acoustics of course - before playing and then the output volume is controlled in the usual way with the bellows.
Perhaps I'm easy pleased but I find no real difference between operating the Rolands or the Jolly - except in versatility.

Well its been some ten years since I started playing, selling and repairing Roland V-Accordions. With every sale of a V-Accordion we offer free instruction and workshops 4 times a year. I have had complaints from Roland owners that have purchased from other sources about Stiff Bellows and is always the result of (1) improper instruction on the use of the instrument (2) improper settings or a combination of both. Musically yours; JIM D.

Is their anyone in England that gives these bellows adjustment instructions. I followed the bellows curve instructions, maybe I wasn't doing it right.

JIM D. said:
Well its been some ten years since I started playing, selling and repairing Roland V-Accordions. With every sale of a V-Accordion we offer free instruction and workshops 4 times a year. I have had complaints from Roland owners that have purchased from other sources about Stiff Bellows and is always the result of (1) improper instruction on the use of the instrument (2) improper settings or a combination of both. Musically yours; JIM D.
Could you turn your presentation into online instructions, Jim? Or YouTube it :idea:

fjsys said:
Personally I have not really done much with my FR-3x, I am still struggling to get used to the bellows.
However Richard Noel is a great resource for customization and has some sets that he sells for the FR-7x, FR-3x, and FR-1x

His youtube channel is at:

https://www.youtube.com/user/bakersfieldaccordion
Useful that - I dont think you can upload to FR3s?

Re The bellows question
On my FR1X I was initially worried about the bellows response. I did as suggested by JimD - set volume to max, set bellows curve to lightest setting
Also made sure blead was closed on the air button
Bingo!

I really like the bellows - at least as much dynamic control as an acoustic.

One question:
I use Roland headphones and these give more dynamic range than when I use the speakers.
Is it that the amp isn't man enough to drive the speakers as effectively. Is there a setting to tweak somewhere?
Also it seems response is better on the pull than the push. Is it me or is it that te sensor is more sensitive in one direction.

Oh and while I'm at it, I see the new Roland simulates air use with greater number of notes working. Now why would you want that. On my acoustic (B/C/C#) I wish I didn't have to juggle the air button so much to manage the bellows

Sometimes I worry that the manufactures of these machines listen too much to the criticisms of acoustic machine players and try to incorporate as much realism as possible, warts and all !

The main problem I found with the bellows adjustment curve is it just allows more air to be leaked into the bellows to make more left arm movement , but makes no difference to volume from the bellows, so the amount of bellows effort remains the same, which I think is why maximum volume setting is recommended. I read somewhere that the FR8 has overcome this bellows problem with more natural sound quality.

Personally I have no problem with the bellows. What I was really asking about I my original post, though, is about the sounds to be got out of a Roland, rather than whether the bellows are any good or not. If it's OK with everyone, I'm going to start a new thread for the bellows and then if anyone does have any tips on the sounds to be had, please post them here...

Thank you. Matt

I haven't had my FR1X long and was a bit overwhelmed by the amount of choice.
For the moment I'm trying to be grown-up about it and not always succeeding.
I can't resist the scat setting in the orchestral sounds - it makes me grin.
I also like the sax setting for gentler stuff
More usefull, I hope, I have decided to stick with one set for now - 32 and mostly use the "Mr Gus" at 4b.
I guess this refers to a French player from wayback called Gus Viseur who must have had a major efect on tunings at the time?

BillO
Are you referring to the air bleed wheel?
The bellows resistance (curve) is a setting in the parameters section of the manual - sorry if I've misunderstood

No, its not just the air bleed wheel. There are other settings. Its so long since I hade a Roland that I don't remember what it was. I was able to get instructions at the time from a Roland accordion website at the time. An American website "Reyer" or something like that.

The manual does not help matters either :shock: .........talk about Double Dutch (no offence Glenn)Gobbledygook and Tech Head Jargonese :tdown: ........and I can program a video recorder....sadly a lost art :cry:

goldtopia said:
No, its not just the air bleed wheel. There are other settings. Its so long since I hade a Roland that I dont remember what it was. I was able to get instructions at the time from a Roland accordion website at the time. An American website Reyer or something like that.

There are things called parameters as well as the bleedi....air .......no thats not right ..air bleeding wheel...air bleed...thats IT :hb :b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back