• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Roland Pipe Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamJoseph

Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking about upgrading my FR-1x to a Fr4x. I was wondering if Roland had any upcoming releases. I would hate to buy it if a newer model was forthcoming.

The 4x is selling so well that an upgraded model such as a 5x won't be necessarily marketed for quite some time.

I love my 4x. It's a compact 120 bass, a lot of orchestral sounds. I've had mine about a year, and still discovering what it can do.

Of course my family love it because of the head phone socket.

That is also what I hear... that there is nothing new coming out soon, but as I mention in another thread, you can waste a lot of good accordion time playing the "what if" game.

Get what is out there now that you like and enjoy. For example, I was initially hoping to get the EVO... that would have meant that I would have lost over 2 years waiting. I am SUPER happy that I did not do that... to me the EVO is a downgrade to the 8X and I saved over $7000 and had 2 extra years time playing with it... those are incredible memories to have!

Have a FR4x, love Its’ portability. Played the FR7 for years and never regretted it. But time to be more compact. Yes a replacement may be in the far horizon. But if you feel like upgrading, go for it. You will not regret. I even may consider an FR1x as a second accordion. Would be a novelty to put it on during a show and stroll off stage. To me, it is not the instrument but focus on the audience. 99.99% key to Entertainment success.

Keymn post_id=63414 time=1539082354 user_id=2502 said:
Have a FR4x, love Its’ portability. Played the FR7 for years and never regretted it. But time to be more compact. Yes a replacement may be in the far horizon. But if you feel like upgrading, go for it. You will not regret. I even may consider an FR1x as a second accordion. Would be a novelty to put it on during a show and stroll off stage. To me, it is not the instrument but focus on the audience. 99.99% key to Entertainment success.

/Hijackon

Hi Larry, I was just on your website looking at all of the neat tunes you play. Im quite envious.

/hijackoff

StargazerTony post_id=63416 time=1539096295 user_id=2434 said:
Keymn post_id=63414 time=1539082354 user_id=2502 said:

/Hijackon

Hi Larry, I was just on your website looking at all of the neat tunes you play. Im quite envious.

/hijackoff
I keep suggesting to Roland accordion players. Keep it simple. They think they need to use all those programmed sounds. My next accordion is the FR1x or something similar to that size. Get a couple good accordions sounds and 5 or 6 orchestions and you will be a hit in all your performances...

Keymn post_id=63423 time=1539144102 user_id=2502 said:
I keep suggesting to Roland accordion players. Keep it simple. They think they need to use all those programmed sounds.

Why buy a Ferrari and never put it in 2nd gear?

This summer when I played at a private block party, I just happened to have set up 2 sets differently, one that concentrated mostly on accordion only, and the 2nd set mostly on accordion with drums and orchestration sounds. Both were very well received, but I definitely received more compliments and applause about my playing and the sound compared to the first set. Same thing happened when I played last Christmas at the accordion clubs annual party, and you know that if a group of acoustic players literally stop you to ask questions... it is worth to use a variety. If anything, it makes any performance less monotonous for the people.

There is nothing wrong with limiting yourself if that is your style, but I definitely would not recommend that people not use what they payed big bucks to have. :)

Get to know your equipment, use it to its fullest within your capabilities and desires. You paid for a digital box because of its sounds... why not use them? :D

Hi Larry

I have to keep it simple for I'm a simple person. Been torn between the FR1 X, and the Weltmeister Juwel however I've been looking at some videos on the FRx 1B and it seems to be more versatile. The 28 keys of the FR1 X seem to be quite limiting while the FR1 B has the range more like the FR4 x.

StargazerTony post_id=63429 time=1539198564 user_id=2434 said:
Hi Larry

I have to keep it simple for Im a simple person. Been torn between the FR1 X, and the Weltmeister Juwel however Ive been looking at some videos on the FRx 1B and it seems to be more versatile. The 28 keys of the FR1 X seem to be quite limiting while the FR1 B has the range more like the FR4 x.
I was thinking about the fr1x. The button accordion intrigues me. Something I would like to learn. I have this German Restaurant gig 5 nights a week. A smaller accordion may be in my next investment plans. Here in Phoenix no place to try one...

Keymn post_id=63438 time=1539231202 user_id=2502 said:
A smaller accordion may be in my next investment plans. Here in Phoenix no place to try one...

And you have hit on the crux of the problem, at least for here in the USA. It seems that in Europe, accordion stores with a nice selection of units to hold, are more plentiful than here where we must travel hundreds, if not thousands of miles to see them. For me, the closest store of size is almost 400 miles away, more for you, I think. I cringe at the thought of having an accordion shipped to me and after finally getting it, find its not suitable for me. I want to put it on me, push the buttons and keys, squeeze the bellows, listen to the sounds produced (damn, thats almost erotic) before committing a large sum of money, or even a small sum. A trip to the closest store for me is a two day affair, costing a couple of hundred dollars. Money that could be put into a better accordion.

StargazerTony post_id=63445 time=1539270557 user_id=2434 said:
Keymn post_id=63438 time=1539231202 user_id=2502 said:
A smaller accordion may be in my next investment plans. Here in Phoenix no place to try one...

And you have hit on the crux of the problem, at least for here in the USA. It seems that in Europe, accordion stores with a nice selection of units to hold, are more plentiful than here where we must travel hundreds, if not thousands of miles to see them. For me, the closest store of size is almost 400 miles away, more for you, I think. I cringe at the thought of having an accordion shipped to me and after finally getting it, find its not suitable for me. I want to put it on me, push the buttons and keys, squeeze the bellows, listen to the sounds produced (damn, thats almost erotic) before committing a large sum of money, or even a small sum. A trip to the closest store for me is a two day affair, costing a couple of hundred dollars. Money that could be put into a better accordion.
I would like to see Roland put in there accordion line the same sound engine as GoKeys and GoPiano. For the$300 cost they produce an extraordinary piano sound and other orchestrations. And need no editing...sound good right out of the box...
Try one if you get a chance!

Thanks for the insight, everyone. I bought the Fr-4x. It is great!

I can understand the difficulty in the US about finding accordion dealers. I’m lucky in that I travel for work. My route takes me by the Button Box once a week. Which is great. Although I must say, it is much easier to find an accordion dealer than a concertina dealer, which was my main instrument for about 25 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back