• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Roland FR4 XB - Problems.

Axt

Reaction score
Dear colleagues, there is a problem, we need help.

A problem from a series on a bad head. Briefly - studying the menu, loading sound modules and sets, somehow the instrument switched from the button version to the keyboard version ....... Restoring factory settings, deleting all unnecessary (sets, sets, sounds), switching off to "hot", and etc. led nowhere.
There is no particular panic, for a guarantee, I wrote to the support, but this is all for a long time. Therefore, the questions.

Is there a full reset option?
Is it possible to reinstall the system, and if so, where can I get the system file, and how to do it?

Can anyone who has a button-type ROLAND FR4XB (button-accordion) save their system settings and reset this file to me? (axtsergej@yahoo.de)
You even have any thoughts about it?

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely...

ps sorry for my english, it's through google.

It is possible to do a full reset. I believe the page in the reference manual is 95, or near there. If you don’t have the reference manual you can download it from the Roland website. Before you do a reset, back up your sets and your user programs to a thumb drive, because they may be deleted by the reset. The procedure for backing up the sets and user programs is also in that reference manual. Also check the manual for your specific problem before you do anything else..

The system file is much more difficult to find. Roland dealers who are also Authorized Roland service providers may or may not have it, but it’s probably way too large to transmit as an attachment to an email message, there may be a procedure for loading it into the accordion which I don’t know, and if a dealer happens to have it they may not have permission to distribute it.

I wish you luck.

Thanks for your answer, but everything turned out to be both complicated and simple. The problem is systemic, and the problem is solved, entering the test mode - Hold down DRUM, ORCH BASS and BASS & CHRD and switch on the power.
The first parameter is Model - use the value + and value- to set this to Butn instead of Piano. Helped on Group.io. +)

Thanks for your answer, but everything turned out to be both complicated and simple. The problem is systemic, and the problem is solved, entering the test mode - Hold down DRUM, ORCH BASS and BASS & CHRD and switch on the power.
The first parameter is Model - use the value + and value- to set this to Butn instead of Piano. Helped on Group.io. +)
Glad to see you got this solved! Acoustic accordions fortunately do not have such complex hidden procedures...
Now you still need to figure out how it was possible that the accordion switched itself from button to piano without you taking any deliberate action to make it do this...

I can only assume this, remembering my actions. Probably, I accidentally loaded * bin from fr-8x, it was installed, it froze when switching registers, and when I rebooted, recovery started. I can't think of any other explanation ... I just had to be careful.

Dear friends, once again, thank you very much for your help!

Best regards, Sergei.

Last edited:
I can only assume this, remembering my actions. Probably, I accidentally loaded * bin from fr-8x, it was installed, it froze when switching registers, and when I rebooted, recovery started. I can't think of any other explanation ... I just had to be careful.

Dear friends, once again, thank you very much for your help!

Best regards, Sergei.
Digital boxes — so many opportunities to do things that surprise and delight, and also so many opportunities to screw things up. Sharing the process of how a problem was created, where possible, can help people avoid the problem in the future. Sharing the solution is also a great help to the community. L’m an owner of a 4x, not a 4xb, so I probably would never had the problem or known its solution, but if anyone ever asks me for help with that same problem I can refer them to this thread.

Thanks.

Reactions: Axt
Well, if you kind of think about it, the value of the info you provide at the start equals the value of the advice you get. The advice I offered was based on the actions of 2-3 other V-accordions to whom something *very* similar this happened to and it was not through any of their actions.

Had you mentioned "I was loading firmware bins and it froze, then came up as a piano accordion..." (as you did after the fact), it would have been more evident and I would have suggested that you triple verify that you had the right bin for the right v-accordion and use the proper firmware (https://www.roland.com/us/support/by_product/fr-8xb/updates_drivers/ instead of https://www.roland.com/ca/support/by_product/fr-8x/updates_drivers/)

Anyways, I am really happy that Roland integrated the switch that would have flipped it from piano keyboard to button, however, a refresh using the correct bin would have corrected this as well. :)

I agree with you. And the first thing I would do is update or reinstall the system. But I have fr4xb, but there are no new firmware for them, and there is also no system file on the official website.:)

There are no new firmware for a long time for near all V-accordions, but what reason would cause you to need to first find the (authorized only use) system file and second to try to install it without having an understanding of the potential consequences?

I used to hack and take apart a LOT of electronic devices in my life from cameras (to increase resolution options available in other countries), to provider's TV boxes (to unlock the PPV channels), to pretty much every car that I've owned in the last 30+ years (to remove the top speed limiters, increase performance and MPG)... but I don't see the need to get the main system file for a V-accordion? Help me out with this one. :)

I have owned a Roland FR -7BX accordion for a long time, and if I recall correctly, it had the ability to boot the system from the stick (I could be wrong). In any case, I think that there should be a deep reset possibility. We are musicians, not techies)

You are right in thinking that the system cannot be booted from a USB stick. :)
There is no real reason (unless you are rebuilding a severely damaged 8X or trying to get in to the ROM), to have access to the main system ROM file... unless you are (OMG, I temporarily forgot his name... the gent that worked for Roland and hacked the 8X to access sound combinations because there was no editor for the 8X at that time and they were being bullheaded about it?). :)

Reactions: Axt
A week has passed, everything is functioning well!
Fully understood the menu and editor. The forum helped a lot, a lot of useful and necessary information, although I do not speak English at all.

Thanks a lot to everyone! :)

You are right in thinking that the system cannot be booted from a USB stick. :)
There is no real reason (unless you are rebuilding a severely damaged 8X or trying to get in to the ROM), to have access to the main system ROM file... unless you are (OMG, I temporarily forgot his name... the gent that worked for Roland and hacked the 8X to access sound combinations because there was no editor for the 8X at that time and they were being bullheaded about it?). :)
I think the man is Ventura .......he is a wizard on all this techie stuff .....................if I'm wrong about the name please accept my apologies no offence intended at all

Hello! On 16/06/2022, I received a Roland fr 1x accordion. It worked well until now. The accordion has no mechanical problems - it has not been worn, hit, wet, etc.. The following problem occurred: when turning on the instrument, some of the keys in the right hand do not play, but there is a growling sound. The pitch is also messed up and the pitches I play with my right hand don't match the set ones. I tried the options from the manual to reset but it didn't work. Please help! I can also send a video if you want. Thanks

The topic you posted your question in is named "Roland FR4 XB - Problems." I suggest that you start a new thread, with a title like "FR-1x growls". That may attract the attention of people with suggestions.

(I have an FR-1xb, but I don't know an answer.)

Hello! On 16/06/2022, I received a Roland fr 1x accordion. It worked well until now. The accordion has no mechanical problems - it has not been worn, hit, wet, etc.. The following problem occurred: when turning on the instrument, some of the keys in the right hand do not play, but there is a growling sound. The pitch is also messed up and the pitches I play with my right hand don't match the set ones. I tried the options from the manual to reset but it didn't work. Please help! I can also send a vi

Hello! On 16/06/2022, I received a Roland fr 1x accordion. It worked well until now. The accordion has no mechanical problems - it has not been worn, hit, wet, etc.. The following problem occurred: when turning on the instrument, some of the keys in the right hand do not play, but there is a growling sound. The pitch is also messed up and the pitches I play with my right hand don't match the set ones. I tried the options from the manual to reset but it didn't work. Please help! I can also send a video if you want. Thanks
Pupil, are any of the buttons lit up?

Back