• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Roland fr3xb still viable

Ex-squeeze

Reaction score
Hey fellow squeezers and geezers 😁 . I am looking in to options for a CBA V accordion. I am almost entirely looking for an instrument to practice on and eventually teach my children on. I am wondering if a 3xb would still be seen as a viable option? I am aware of one that appears to have been almost never played and is within my budget. I am however concerned about how long it's life span may or may not be. Anyone familiar with repairing these? Components available? I like the idea of the 1xb for its tiny size but I could see 72 bass becoming limiting. Thanks for any help. Eli

A few facts of life...
1. advances in all V-accordions has stopped about 1-2 years now, there aren't going to be any new models coming.
2. If you get a good one, you will get 15-20 years out of it, it is not an acoustic accordion that can last 50+ years with good maintenance.

The components for a 3X are already hard to find and not readily available. This is slowly starting to be the norm for even the last generation of accordions (4X, 8X).

Thanks Jerry, appreciate your wisdom on here. I guess there is always the hope of picking up a parts machine in the future as different ones start dying too? Kinda torn between the 1x and 3x would love a 4 or 8 but don't really need it. I have a very nice acoustic but just need a silent practice box. Thanks again. Eli

Kinda torn between the 1x and 3x would love a 4 or 8 but don't really need it. I have a very nice acoustic but just need a silent practice box.
Then why would you need more than 72 basses? (Yes, you can obviously have other grounds for preferring so.) :)

Oh, this may well be my first message here. - About myself: I had never considered playing the accordion. I bought a "big" acoustic one last november, and an FR-1xb (a button one) a month ago. I may well use the latter as a MIDI controller, too. I may be some collector of instruments, but I do have intentions.

Then why would you need more than 72 basses? (Yes, you can obviously have other grounds for preferring so.) :)

Oh, this may well be my first message here. - About myself: I had never considered playing the accordion. I bought a "big" acoustic one last november, and an FR-1xb (a button one) a month ago. I may well use the latter as a MIDI controller, too. I may be some collector of instruments, but I do have intentions.
I play a lot of Klezmer stuff that has a fair bit of modulation and some funny key choices.. would like to avoid massive bass jumps.. although I guess it would make me better.. how do you like your 1xb?

I play a lot of Klezmer stuff that has a fair bit of modulation and some funny key choices.. would like to avoid massive bass jumps.. although I guess it would make me better.. how do you like your 1xb?
1) Klezmer: it's one of many styles I love. I might prefer playing another instrument, though: the wind controller (Roland: AE-models, Yamaha: obsolete WX-models, and more) for the clarinet part. Some Klezmer clarinet player from NY was quoted: "To others, Dm is a key. To me, it's a living."

2) FR-1xb: I think I'm going to love it, once I have mastered the settings. I'm giving it precedence over my big acoustic piano accordion (Startone Piano Accordion 120 IV), but it can only have a small portion of my time.

3) I could recommend this tutorial (in German) for C-Griff button-accordion: not on Amazon.com, but on Amazon.de and Amazon.nl: ASIN (Amazon item ID) B01MYEII55. It teaches the "relative" fingering of the button-accordion, not the "absolute" fingering of the piano-accordion.
By the way, one advantage of these Roland button-accordions over acoustic ones is the configurability, like choosing B-Griff/C-Griff, Stradella/FreeBass, or other fingerings. This is one factor that made me buy this FR-1xb rather than a cheaper acoustic one (Startone Accordion C-Handle).

1) Klezmer: it's one of many styles I love. I might prefer playing another instrument, though: the wind controller (Roland: AE-models, Yamaha: obsolete WX-models, and more) for the clarinet part. Some Klezmer clarinet player from NY was quoted: "To others, Dm is a key. To me, it's a living."

2) FR-1xb: I think I'm going to love it, once I have mastered the settings. I'm giving it precedence over my big acoustic piano accordion (Startone Piano Accordion 120 IV), but it can only have a small portion of my time.

3) I could recommend this tutorial (in German) for C-Griff button-accordion: not on Amazon.com, but on Amazon.de and Amazon.nl: ASIN (Amazon item ID) B01MYEII55. It teaches the "relative" fingering of the button-accordion, not the "absolute" fingering of the piano-accordion.
By the way, one advantage of these Roland button-accordions over acoustic ones is the configurability, like choosing B-Griff/C-Griff, Stradella/FreeBass, or other fingerings. This is one factor that made me buy this FR-1xb rather than a cheaper acoustic one (Startone Accordion C-Handle).
Dm lol got a few friends that need to hear that one. Thanks for your thought. Yeah I would like to be able to play around with freebase, but in pretty well settled on c system.. Finnish c system does seem nice too though.. after all I am a Finn by blood. It's a bit of a toss up for me. I can prob get the 3xb for the same price as a 1xb.. seems over all like a more capable machine.

The quote about Dm came from Sid Beckerman.

Dm lol got a few friends that need to hear that one. Thanks for your thought. Yeah I would like to be able to play around with freebase, but in pretty well settled on c system.. Finnish c system does seem nice too though.. after all I am a Finn by blood. It's a bit of a toss up for me. I can prob get the 3xb for the same price as a 1xb.. seems over all like a more capable machine.
Yes, I would prefer a "more capable" machine, too, and more definitely so if at the same price. :)

Sidebar: it suddenly strikes me that accordion players must be a strange bunch in the eyes of those who buy a smartwatch with cellular connectivity so that they can leave their "bulky" smartphone at home when jogging.

Yes, I would prefer a "more capable" machine, too, and more definitely so if at the same price. :)

Sidebar: it suddenly strikes me that accordion players must be a strange bunch in the eyes of those who buy a smartwatch with cellular connectivity so that they can leave their "bulky" smartphone at home when jogging.
Don't get me wrong.. if I had a 140 bass converte bass I could keep in my pocket I would be all about it lol. By the way and he you don't mind me asking where did you get you one x and how much? I see ones that can be had from over seas for about a thousand less than here. Eli

Last edited:
I have an FR-3xb and it's a great piece of gear. I never really found anything compelling about the 4xb that had me wanting to spend the big $$$ to upgrade. I just wanted a digital chromatic button accordion with lots of accordion sound options, I could care less about non-accordion sounds. The 3xb meets my needs. The comments about the lack of parts for any of these older V-Accordions is a legitimate concern, I treat mine with great care to avoid any possibility of damage.

Back