• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Roland Fr1x Left Shoulder Strap issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Patrick

Hi everyone, I’ve been playing the Fr1x for about a year, I really like it but there is one issue I keep having with the left shoulder strap, it seems that no matter how I configure the straps, the bottom of the left strap always runs slightly across the corner of a few of the bellows.. is this a common issue or something weird with how I’m wearing it??

I have tried many different strap lengths on both sides to try to correct it but this issue continues to happen, I’m just worried that I might somehow damage the bellows, or at the very least it always feels like a slight inconvenience.. if anyone has experienced this or has any thoughts I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Pat

I could see this happening with an accordion that size and unusually broad shoulders :idea:

so his strap gets pulled more to the side, towards the bellows and catches on the corners

would you see a solution to this? Maybe some kind of strap that pulls them closer together at the bottom after loosening the straps more to compensate?

I don't know...

Although it is not entirely clear what goes wrong, would doing something like that not lose control over the bottom of the instrument?

FWIW - I had my FR1X for 6 years and did not notice this.
Not much help I'm afraid - How about asking a shop/tech or maybe changing the strap/try a back strap?

Thanks for the replies! I appreciate it, and sorry for the delay it’s been a busy few days..

Yes maybe some sort of back strap would help.. I messed with putting different straps on from another accordion but not much help, I can try to take a picture later when I get home from work and see how it looks..

Thanks again
Pat

Alright so this is what I am dealing with.. it may be a common thing and it usually doesn’t affect the playing at all until the bellows are wide open but it can sometimes be a nuisance..

On other accordions I’ve played there are two separate mounts underneath for the shoulder straps but the fr1x only has one piece of hardware for both shoulder strap bottom ends to slide through..

If anyone has any thoughts or has experienced this issue I would appreciate any feedback, thanks!!!

The picture was taken quickly from underneath, not great but the best I could point a camera upwards to the bottom straps

Attachments

• F89E734A-581C-4AC3-BFD4-CA8D2B0CCD55.jpeg
    F89E734A-581C-4AC3-BFD4-CA8D2B0CCD55.jpeg
    294.2 KB · Views: 493
Is it possible that you are positioning your accordion too far to the right when you are playing? Are the black keys pretty much in line beneath your chin ? If so , you shouldn`t be having that problem

I like where you’re going with that, I feel like that could definitely be something I’m doing, it’s always felt pretty comfortable but that makes a lot of sense. If I can get it farther to the left that might do the trick, thank you for the reply! I appreciate all the help from everyone

I had this problem when I first got my FR1X but I think it could be a problem on any accordion depending on your body build.

Some mature accordion player was giving advice and tips on a website and he said, if your strap rubs against your bellows on the bottom end, reverse the strap ie instead of having the left strap towards bellows and right towards your right hand in the accordion ring at the bottom cross them so your left goes on first then your right goes next to the bellows. This pulls everything away from the bellows if that makes sense. It certainly worked for me and have not had a problem since.

I hope this makes sense.

It certainly does make sense, I tried that in the past and it did seem to help.. I think if I switch back to that method and focus on keeping the accordion adjusted to the left side of my body as was suggested earlier it will solve all my issues, that alone has seemed to help.. the combination of both of those ideas I think will certainly be an improvement.. it’s the first thing I’m going to do when I get home from work!

Thanks again for the all the insight from everyone I appreciate it!

Hi Patrick,
My FRx1 did exactly the same. I have a slightly rubbed area at the base of my bellows. I discovered mine was down to the clasp that holds the strap back over itself, which I had located in just the wrong place. And playing mostly seated, this rubbed on the bellows. I am short, so I actually cut off a lot of the un-needed strap, sealed over a flame, and was able to move the clasp thing up more out of the way. (Not having to use it to gather in unwanted excess strap.) Hope you can follow this, and that it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back