• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Roland - another one bites the dust!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So, I have gone to the dark side, in a continuing effort to save my wife's sanity. There have been many times where I wish I could play silently. I just ordered a used Fr1xB in order to get enough keyboard on the electronic. Wish me luck!

Last edited:
Tom, good luck. :)

>> a continuing effort to save my wife's sanity

I'm still waiting for the day when my wife asks me to play louder ;)

Reactions: Tom
.....or to play that one phrase for the 300 and first time!

You're a lucky man, George! Actually, my wife likes it when I play songs, but not when I work them out or commit them to memory through repetition. Or, "It's midnight/6:00 am and I can't sleep, maybe I'll play some cordeen."

By the way, from a quick look, it seems that C griff is the way to go?????

Perhaps you have just discovered how you will spend the next 20 years of your life.
Welcome to the madhouse!

Aqq
Perhaps you have just discovered how you will spend the next 20 years of your life.
Welcome to the madhouse!
So, yeah, thanks, continuing the madhouse I would say!

Congratulations. Looking forward to see how you get on with the FR1x

Congratulations. Looking forward to see how you get on with the FR1x
Thanks Glenn! I would rather have gotten the fr4 or even the 8 but the used frixb was more in line with my budget.

Thanks Glenn! I would rather have gotten the fr4 or even the 8 but the used frixb was more in line with my budget.
I hope that works out for you. Over the many years I have come to understand that size is actually more important than many other aspects of an accordion. Of course the sound has to be pleasing and the accordion shouldn't weigh a ton and cost two arms and two legs... but size is the most important factor in feeling comfortable while playing.

I hope that works out for you. Over the many years I have come to understand that size is actually more important than many other aspects of an accordion. Of course the sound has to be pleasing and the accordion shouldn't weigh a ton and cost two arms and two legs... but size is the most important factor in feeling comfortable while playing.
Thanks Paul! We'll see. It really was a question of cost going to the smaller cba. I have read your experiences with interest and hope the switch to buttons won't be too bad. I will keep at least one of my really nice acoustic piano accordions around.

Thanks Paul! We'll see. It really was a question of cost going to the smaller cba. I have read your experiences with interest and hope the switch to buttons won't be too bad. I will keep at least one of my really nice acoustic piano accordions around.
If something about this Roland doesn't meet your needs, you might consider the accordina as a way to add cba to your skillset. It is small, lightweight, 3-1/2 octaves, can be played quietly (my wife isn't bothered but YMMV), and you can easily take it with you wherever you go (assuming COVID19 will end and you can actually go somewhere).

If something about this Roland doesn't meet your needs, you might consider the accordina as a way to add cba to your skillset. It is small, lightweight, 3-1/2 octaves, can be played quietly (my wife isn't bothered but YMMV), and you can easily take it with you wherever you go (assuming COVID19 will end and you can actually go somewhere).
Thanks Jim! No, I don't really need to add cba to my life, it's the fact that I can't find a silent piano accordion with at least 38 treble keys for less than $2000. If one exists, I just haven't seen it. Maybe that option can be shared by someone more knowledgeable than me. Maybe someday the Chinese will see this market opportunity, I don't know.

I would like to have a v-accordion to study silently. Here in Brazil, the fr8x costs R$ 35.000, which is the price of a good car. For comparison, 70% of Brazilians live on a minimum wage of 1200 R$ to survive.

Congratulations on your purchase! It will definitely be very useful

"My wife loves to hear me play,..."
I tell my wife that's how she knows exactly where I am?

Good luck and best wishes Tom. While I naturally approve of the button decision I think it's great that you're starting a new musical journey. I hope you enjoy it from the first footstep - there is no "there" to be got to.
Cheers
Tom

I would like to have a v-accordion to study silently. Here in Brazil, the fr8x costs R$ 35.000, which is the price of a good car. For comparison, 70% of Brazilians live on a minimum wage of 1200 R$ to survive.

Congratulations on your purchase! It will definitely be very useful
Thanks Fire! Yeah, the fr8x is pretty much out of my league too. I see many really nice accordions in Brazilian videos, even a lot of nice Piatanesi.

Good luck and best wishes Tom. While I naturally approve of the button decision I think it's great that you're starting a new musical journey. I hope you enjoy it from the first footstep - there is no "there" to be got to.
Cheers
Tom
Thanks Tom! I do enjoy anotjer challenge to keep my mind active.

Unfortunately, it didn't work out for me. I had the opportunity to try the accordion first, and found that although there seems to be a lot of potential, it didn't seem worth the cost. Also, I like the chromatic buttons, but was concerned about the investment I have in my acoustics. I think I will have to keep my eye out for a good deal on the fr4 like Chris found.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back