• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Repairing Hohner Carmen II Keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anatomicarnie

Reaction score
Good Evening All, I hope someone can assist. My beloved Carmen II which has kept me sane throught lockdown has been wounded in action. I caught the lip of 2 keys while replacing it in the case ( see photo). They both still work but my fingers keep tripping up on them making some interesting chord substitutions and not in a good way. Does anyone have experience of repairing this vintage model?

Thanks to all

File size was too big

Attachments

• 20210115_205132.jpg
    20210115_205132.jpg
    450.9 KB · Views: 15
You can remove the grille and then gently push on the end of the arm and on the key to bend it back, but 1) you have to be gentle to not also bend whichever thing (most often a rod, but not always) is the pivot point and 2) you cannot do this often as the aluminum of the lever/arm is a rather soft metal and will eventually break.

Oh dear!?
A fairly frequent issue, due to catching the keys with fingers or straps when lifting, particularly into or out of the carry case?
Well within the scope of an experienced technician, but fraught with dangers, as Paul points out, for the tyro ( like myself) ?
The retailer/repairer who sold me my first accordion warned all his customers against this commonly encountered piano accordion accident just waiting to happen.?
There are specially made keyboard rod adjusting keys designed for the purpose listed on eBay .
There are earlier threads in the forum on this same subject.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for your replies, Carmen is going under the knife tomorrow, hopefully will survive:)

This type of accident illustrates why the older "waterfall" keyboard design was technically more sound than the later design we now all have to live with. I have never known anyone to have this type of accident (something catching under the key top, like edge of the case or bellow straps) with a waterfall keyboard.

Found the link to the "bending irons" used to level/adjust treble keys:

Bending irons are easy to make.

I took two pieces of steel bar 4mm x 20mm x 6 inches long and cut a notch near the end that just fits over the key rod.
I filed the notch until it would just go over the key rod and the 4mm thickness is enough for this to work.

Always use bending irons in pairs, otherwise you transfer the strain to the key and break it.

Full details are here: http://accordionrevival.com/ACCORDION_REPAIR1.php#Making_Treble_Keyboard_Bending_Tools

Found the link to the "bending irons" used to level/adjust treble keys:
Not cheap compared to Carini... but these bending irons will do the trick. However, when you are careful to press with your hand on the key, not near the end (which may break the key) and with the other hand on the lever near the pallet, you can do the required bending mostly, if not completely, with bare hands. I don't recommend this as it puts strain on the rod/axle if there is one, but for a rare case of an accident, most likely to happen when you do not have tools handy, it can be done...

Guys,
I skimmed through the articles in the links you provided: phew!?
As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather leave things to the pros!
They're well worth the fee!!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back