• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Recommended Midi unit for Iorio Syntara, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

porkchop

12-6-18
I posted about my Iorio Syntara some time ago. Despite some agreement on the board about the less than stellar quality of the tones generated by 80's tone generators, the Hammond B3 organ sound, the oboe, harpsichord, clavichord and a couple of other voices have given me most of what I need to have a blast. Play periodically at church and some christian events. Folks are generally blown away at the combined sound of the accordion and synthesized voices played together. Not a pro by any stretch, but bought this Syntara in 2011 to resume playing after my Excelsior sat in a closet for 40 years. Having a BLAST with what it CAN do ... but would like to explore adding MIDI ... which this system supports through the tone generator. Midi is a completely new world for me and I have no idea of what MIDI board might be a good match. I'm not much into trying to synthesize (mix) my own voices, so I'd be looking for something relatively straightforward with a good array of preset voices that are suitable for church and pop. Good, solid organ voices are my working staple. Any suggestions?

Sorry Pork, I don't know much about midi devices. I would probably midi in to a laptop and use the voices available in the computer world. Good luck!

Because your needs are not all that stringent, there are several options out there, even going so far as to go back to expander modules like a Yamaha FB-01 which would give you more than a couple hundred sounds to play with.

http://syner-g.no-ip.biz/mymusic/files/fb01voices.jpg>fb01voices.jpg

Used these units go for something like $200-$300 which for what they offer is pretty decent.

I still even have one of these in like new and I use it now and then for effects like bells, harps and electric piano. I had a lot of fun with mine, because when new, these things were top of the line and today have that really 80s feel and sound... quite cool. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back