• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Recommendations for traditional folk music retreat

Here's a wee bit of Irish music
Lovely, I have bought a £5 Irish whistle in D and learnt the scale. I think this is the best value musical instrument I've ever come across!

I've noticed the favoured free reed instrument for this stuff seems to be the melodion or a little wooden button accordion. I guess the wood/button thing is some sort of aesthetic/fashion statement because it looks a bit like a melodion, or else traditional musicians are very wealthy....

Last edited:
Lovely, I have bought a £5 Irish whistle in D and learnt the scale. I think this is the best value musical instrument I've ever come across!

I've noticed the favoured free reed instrument for this stuff seems to be the melodion or a little wooden button accordion. I guess the wood/button thing is some sort of aesthetic/fashion statement because it looks a bit like a melodion, or else traditional musicians are very wealthy....
Congratulations on your new instrument!

Indeed, the melodeon, small button accordion and concertina are integral to the Irish scene. My great grandfather on my mother's side played them.

However, in Ireland it seems the fashions of the 1950s (maybe more in the province of Leinster), large piano accordions or 3 row Shand style instruments have nearly gone - in favour of the smaller wooden instruments. Nowadays even the piano accordions tend to adopt the wooden instrument looks of the little button accordions...

" I guess the wood/button thing"
Oh dear, do you mean an Anglo Concertina and are you risking your reputation?
Try this from about 5'25" and then 10'

Let''s say the original freebass accordion - and your neck of the woods I think.
PS Blame the prices on madly ambitious and doting parents.

Don't worry, just grow a beard and get the nice wooden CBA from Acorn Instruments. You too could be a trad hipster...

Here's a cheery wee tune for inspiration...

I have met Cohen, he plays a very nice D/G melodeon, don’t think he plays a CBA, but he might, he’s an inordinately talented bloke. Not that I’m against a Castagnari CBA, I’ve got one myself.

'Lass o' Gowrie' , the lass being credited as being 'bonnie' here in Scotland and the tune is in every traditional player's repertoire. I've always assumed that Gowrie is an abbreviation of the name of the central Scotland town/area, Blairgowrie. The tune is 'adopted' by the Borders town of Biggar and used at their mid-summer festival (common riding) with suitable words added.

Back