• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Quiz Challenge - Three Accordion Pieces

saundersbp

Site Supporter
Reaction score
A challenge!
I popped into the village church this afternoon to practice three pieces new to me.

Can anyone name all three or even one of them? Bonus points for saying what time signatures they are in - two of the three are tricky...

(Recorded in high fidelity on a budget android phone. Background noises are people coming in and out.)

It's a really terrific mixture of tunes...

To me the first piece has a slightly Scottish sound, it's quite nice.

The second tune, the French style waltz, is playful and a bit tipsy - I really love the tune.

The last tune is interesting, the intro is very 'classic' and then it goes modern... I have heard it before, possibly on a TV advert, maybe for a bank or something. :unsure: In my mind's eye it was played on the piano/keyboard on the advert.

Bottom line, I don't have the faintest idea about the names of the tunes. Actually, I would have an equal chance of guessing what village church you were playing in from hearing its echo, as by hearing the pieces and naming them. :D

Thanks though! Sure someone will turn up and ruffle-up this fiendish quiz with a perfect score. @Siegmund...

I don't suppose the punters walking in or out could name the pieces either... but they must have been very pleased to listen nonetheless 😊

True. I really enjoyed the music. It's different and unusual for me but approachable and fine. I have no idea of the titles, origin or time signatures.

Nice performance and interesting pieces! I can’t name any but will take a guess on time signatures. First one seems like 6/8 but rubato. Second one is 3/4. Third one can actually be counted in 4/4, but uses mixed meter rhythms. 12;12;123;12;1234;123

the second tune, the French style waltz, is playful and a bit tipsy - I really love the tune.
Spot on - its a French Waltz. The contemporary composer of this is strongly associated with the Morvan and has a great gift for melody. He also wrote the first tune. His surname refers to an agricultural building where you might find an Owl (CLUE!)

Nice performance and interesting pieces! I can’t name any but will take a guess on time signatures. First one seems like 6/8 but rubato. Second one is 3/4. Third one can actually be counted in 4/4, but uses mixed meter rhythms. 12;12;123;12;1234;123
You have a super ear and sense of rhythm - congratulations!
The first one is indeed 6/8 and rubato - I'm very impressed you got this.
The second one is obviously a waltz so 3/4.
The third is 15/8 - you'll hear that as soon as you count the notes in the right hand that repeat in 'perpetual movement' and reminds me of flightless aquatic birds (CLUE!)

I totally forgot about this.

Number 1

Number 2

Number 3

(in my opinion their only really good track despite the often played cringeworthy found harmonium piece)

Back