• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Progress after 4 Lessons

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pianoman1

I am having 90 minute one to one lessons with a London based teacher and accordionist who is New Zealand born and well known in the business apparently but prefers to remain anonymous This is every two weeks and now had 4 lessons so far

According to him I was 100 percent rubbish when I first had lessons - I have improved to the extent that I am just 50 percent rubbish

I have improved my tone - bellows control and keyboard fingering - bass notes are crisper and of good sound BUT it is hit and miss and does not always work

He is an absolutely excellent teacher - very passionate - articulate and superb ears who can spot an error instantly
He has taught me stuff which I would have never picked up from Youtube or published teaching methods He writes me letters after every lesson and sends me an analysis Not cheap but worth it to me

I only wish I could afford him every week Tony

I would add the input from Mr Garside and others have also been very useful and informative contributions to whatever stumbling progress I have made

Sounds like good progress. Did you describe the lesson in a previous post? Does he set you a piece, you go away for a week or two, then you review progress on it?

The main emphasis for me is sound creation I have an old Hohner Arietta 11m 72 bass box
It is simply to get the best quality of sound out of an old box and keep the quality consistent
I have to focus on producing the right sound using bellows control and maintaining the quality of the sound

I can sight read or memorise most things as a piano player and have a good knowledge of chords as I teach jazz piano
I focus on volume - dynamics - smooth sound production and maintaining a steady flow of good sound with crisp short bass notes
This is all new stuff to me but relates to the singing teaching I do and singing technique I have developed

I do very simple pieces but hopefully with high quality sound

Hi Pianoman.
I can understand the need for controlling the instrument but are you only doing exercises? This can become aurally fatiging (read boring) after a while, especially as you are already an accomplished musician.

Well I have about 40 minutes of memorised music which I can do and I busk some 3 chord jazz Dixieland stuff
so I have plenty to play Being a serial music addict I have bought masses of tangoes French folk dances English stuff and
Edith Piaf I have bought a stripey jersey and beret and will ready to busk soon

I am 71 but have a lot of mostly dark hair and eyebrows so look shifty and likely to be moved on by the cops

According to my teacher I am now at 80 percent plus where he wants the sound to be

Key points from this lesson

1 Legato and light fingered on the keyboard
2 Short sharp basss lines
3 Work them together retaining their characteristics
4 Relax the shoulders (most focus on this )
5 Keep it slow !

Looking forward to the next lesson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back