• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Progress Report--thanks and questions

LibraryJoe

Site Supporter
Reaction score
First off, I wish to thank the administrator and members of this forum. You’re all providing information that is otherwise unavailable to most of his newbies and even long-time players.

I meant to ask the forum about glissando on the Chromatic Button Accordion, but a search, with an answer from Debra, has already told me how its possible. Thank you, sir!

After three months of CBA, I believe this long-time piano accordionist is making slow, but steady progress. My Chinese made E. Soprani has served me well so far, despite the frightening 90- day factory warranty offered by Liberty Bellows. (I’m just days away from the end). The accordion has allowed me to realize the benefits of CBA, as well as the personal limitations.

After 50 plus years, I’ve progressed to early Palmer Hughes, Book 10. My wall was hit a couple of years ago, and despite efforts, at age 69 perhaps I’ll never finish the series. Being so familiar with piano accordion is definitely a plus for that system.

An accordion friend finally convinced me to try CBA, hence my purchase and trade in for this student model at Liberty Bellows. His insistence that this system is easier has not fully sunken in. Book 1 and Book 2 of PH was a breeze. Book 3 has provided a challenge as I’ve nearly completed it. Once again, I recall Debra’s comment that it would take 10 years or so to meet my earlier PA skill level. Ah, 79 isn’t too old, right?

I am really enjoying the 13 pound size and weight of this box. It recalls my dearly departed 48 bass Giulietti, which still provides a degree of seller’s remorse. The limitations of the E. Soprani are becoming evident too—its tone is adequate for a student, as well as its response. As I explore the treble’s second octave on the box, it’s obvious that the bass side is too strong for the treble at these locations. Perhaps as I improve, my left hand skill may minimize this discrepancy.

For me the biggest benefit is the size and weight—this box duplicates much of the notes on my 96 bass PA, with a fraction of the weight.

Once again, I find myself on the forum, this time with another question. As I progress, where should I go next? Do I take a relatively small step up, with a new Weltmeister of similar size, with a slightly larger weight, and a couple of register switches? Will I find myself looking at pricier models in a few months after that? Used CBAs rarely show up on sites I trust, such as Liberty Bellows or Petosa-- especially the lighter ones with 96 or less bass buttons.

I was fortunate in the last ten or fifteen years purchasing on Ebay piano accordions—one of which I still own. Lately I’ve been more leery—perhaps due to learning more about accordions through this forum.

I realize a Roland 1X-B may provide an answer, but again I hesitate as I realize that Roland has appeared to abandon these instruments.

Any comments or suggestions?

It seems that Roland FR-1xb accordions are still available, though not necessarily from authorized Roland dealers. Just out of curiosity, I have seen the 4xb disappear from one dealer after another in just the last month or two, although one dealer’s website claims that there are more on order. It could be limited to the USA — I don’t know. At this moment there’s no real digital alternative.

Back