• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Playing classical music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alans

Reaction score
I’ve been on this forum for a while but I never realized there was a discussion for classical music. I think classical music on the accordion is the most exciting and beautiful music to listen to. But living in North America I never hear from anyone who is into classical repertoire. Many advanced.performing accordionist are into contemporary,experimental music which is too far out for me. Michael Brudge is a successful Canadian accirdionist who,plays classical music and everything else.
I have a free bass but I haven’t learned to play it yet but I so look forward to learning it. I used to be bewildered by free bass-years ago I posed the question who here plays free bass and no one replied . But like huge proponents of the free bass ( Joe Macerollo who has been teaching free bass at university for decades,) I now understand how limiting stradella can be. When I watch videos of accordion music it’s always only classical and the instrumentalists who are amazing,are always European.

I play a bit of free bass, but I'm still pretty rubbish at it. I mostly play in an accordion ensemble (quintet or larger) and there we only use the right hand. But we do play mostly classical music. Bach (strictly not classical but baroque) is my favorite composer. Bach also sounds very nice on a single accordion with free bass!

Hi Alans,

This is an interesting post! I started learning accordion about a year and a half ago on a piano/stradella bass because I didn't know at the time there were any other options. I discovered C system both sides last summer and now play about 95% free bass for the reason you give that it takes off the musical limitations for the left hand. Discovering free bass has really inspired me to take the accordion seriously like other instruments I have learnt. I now play mostly classical music from 14th century up to the present day, and also mostly use free bass for many of my folk and pop tunes because you can have all the variety of texture that you could get on any other keyboard instrument. I also agree that it is a very beautiful sound when the accordion is used like this.

Hi Alans,

This is an interesting post! I started learning accordion about a year and a half ago on a piano/stradella bass because I didn't know at the time there were any other options. I discovered C system both sides last summer and now play about 95% free bass for the reason you give that it takes off the musical limitations for the left hand. Discovering free bass has really inspired me to take the accordion seriously like other instruments I have learnt. I now play mostly classical music from 14th century up to the present day, and also mostly use free bass for many of my folk and pop tunes because you can have all the variety of texture that you could get on any other keyboard instrument. I also agree that it is a very beautiful sound when the accordion is used like this.
Thank-you both for your replies. Saundersbp really interested in hearing about your journey. Which method did you use to get started on the C accordion. Do you know the Anzaghi method? It’s huge and starts as a beginner and then progresses forward The notes are written with indication for both style of accordions.

Hi Alans,

I used the Saundersbp method to get started on C system both hands! I started straight off with music rather than exercises using Lars Holm Music Box 1 book. This has simple tunes with modern fingering and is used in countries in Scandinavia where music schools for children start with free bass C system rather than it being a later addition. After that I went on to pieces I wanted to learn and working through them carefully with an excellent teacher. My focus at the moment is getting a really good sound, rather than just playing the right notes! I think learning other musical instruments in the past has helped me a lot as you know how to practice effectively and not waste time down rabbit holes.

Good luck with you own learning!

Together with the Mogens Ellegaard method for free bass, in music school, we also used the Alessandro Di Zio method volume 2 for free bass accordion.

https://www.castelfidardomusica.it/it/metodi-per-fisarmonica/194-hghg.html

the other Italian tutors and technique books for accordion:

Addendum, most of the accordionists, interested in playing classical music on the accordion, will already have read this book review. I'd like to refer once again to this book I also have bought in the 1990s.
I agree with the person reviewing it, Robert Karl Berta, it was good money spent on an excellent accordion technique book ! The review:
http://free-reed.net/reviews/lipsbayanbook.html

If you think this book is a magician's stick that will turn you into an accordion virtuoso overnight, don't buy this book.
If you are serious into long time planning accordion study, you will enjoy this book for many years to come. The book is not intended for beginners, but for advanced players, aspiring concert level. (But even for me as an amateur, I think it is a superb resource in accordion study for amateurs also).

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back