• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Panitalia Lightweight

Status
Not open for further replies.

LibraryJoe

Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I realize, perhaps some 50+ years after encountering Batter Up in PH, circa 1967, that my accordion teacher was wrong. Of course he was right, I'd need more than my loaner 12 bass, and he'd be happy to sell me, or actually my father a Giulietti mf32. And then, when I got bigger, I'd buy a full size accordion, preferably from him.

Teacher didn't know that I'd never grow taller than 5'9", that as a high school senior I'd weigh about 130 lbs. I learned picking up the accordion again circa 1987, that my accordion was sometimes called a ladies model. Perhaps, homophobia, or merely coming from a blue collar family , I bought a seriously heavy Dallape tone chamber from NYC' s Accordion-o-Rama. Couple years later sold and bought a somewhat lighter Panjet 45 from Petosa.

Over the resulting 20 years, I've bought and sold smaller accordions. Never should have gotten rid of the Giulietti 48 bass from House of Musical Traditions. No longer own a Titano Palmer-Hughes converter. Liked the looks and size of the Tiger, though never dug the quint tuning. The Roland 2 was sold toward a Roland 3S, through Liberty Belows, but it's spent more time in the closet than being played.

Bought my first new acoustic accordion, a Giulieti m52 from Music Magic a couple years back. Hey, this is a little smaller than than the box I played at age 13!

Found a Panitalia Lightweight from Button Box around 2013. Dug the size and weight... about 16 pounds, full size keys, 37/96. Considered trading it in, sounds not as good as some of the other boxes I've owned. But so playable. Serial number 00043!

Somebody else must own this accordion. Even found a review dated 2020 from Ventura. But Mr Google and the Internet are keeping pretty mum about this accordion.

Does anyone else own a Panitalia Lightweight?? What do you think?! I traded tone for size; heck ,--- just as I'm never gonna play like a professional, I guess I'll never outgrow a ladies model.

Last edited:
I think it's an interesting story, Joe, and hope you're hapoy with your current accordion. Sorry I can't help you at all with the PanItalia. After sll these years, I'm curious though, whst kind of music do you enjoy playing?

I think it's an interesting story, Joe, and hope you're hapoy with your current accordion. Sorry I can't help you at all with the PanItalia. After sll these years, I'm curious though, whst kind of music do you enjoy playing?
Of course, with my first accordion lessons, it was strictly Palmer Hughes, with occasional forays into (un)popular tunes for accordion (at least to a 14 year old)-- "My Fair Lady", "Easter Parade", and "The Ballad of the Green Berets." A pretty diverse set list, don't you think?

Accordion sits idly- forty-odd years

Lessons as a fifty-plus year old, I was fortunate enough to find a teacher who was a student of the jazz accordionist Leon Sash. I decided I wanted to learn some standards, maybe some jazz, and actually finally complete Palmer Hughes, which I abandoned in late book 4. Used fake books for jazz, found the "Everybody's Favorite" series which included light classical. Took lessons for about five years and moved away.

I bought almost everything Mel Bay and Hal Leonard released for accordion. By now the Gary Meisner books are almost able to be sight read, though a recent book featuring jazz standards is a struggle that I'll work on. Great selections though. There are three Marocco books in print--one by Hal Leonard and two Italian imports. I continue to look for imports (to the USA) available in Liberty Bellows in person or online.

The tango, musette, and cajun/ zydeco books from Bay and Leonard present music to me that I'm mostly hearing for the first time upon trying to learn them.

Reactions: Tom
Wow, that's pretty impressive, Joe. Are you familar with the Arrigo Tomasi site? There is a lot of jazz there, arranged for accordion, with solos. I wish I could sight read as well as you. A challenge for another time. Thanks and good luck with your playing!

Wow, that's pretty impressive, Joe. Are you familar with the Arrigo Tomasi site? There is a lot of jazz there, arranged for accordion, with solos. I wish I could sight read as well as you. A challenge for another time. Thanks and good luck with your playing!
Thanks for the lead. I will check it out now!

Excellent web site. The play along looks like a great subscription deal. A little late to take out the accordion. (11:15 pm), but will definitely go back tomorrow and try out the sample.

Where do you live? I see USA...

Excellent web site. The play along looks like a great subscription deal. A little late to take out the accordion. (11:15 pm), but will definitely go back tomorrow and try out the sample.

Where do you live? I see USA...
Hi Joe,

Yeah, I tried the subscription and it's a lot of good music, but pretty over my head. I like the lead sheets though. I'm in Wisconsin, how about you?

SC, near Hilton Head and Savannah.

Italian family... accordion no suprise....
Wisconsin... Should I assume lots of polkas growing up?

Cool area, congrats. Actually I grew up in an Italian family in Rhode Island, hence yes, a natural attraction to the accordion. Never heard a polka till I moved to Wisconsin (ok, I had heard Beer Barrel but didn't know it was a polka) and got introduced to Frankie Yankovic and old time music which I have come to like to play. My level is intermediate, fun, since I didn't start till my 50s.

I would like to hear more of your story, private message me if you want to chat. Anyway, congrats, sounds like you got it going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back